Coin Dilemma

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
I have just come across a very nice dilemma while looking through some of my silver dollars to weed out in trade. As part of a nice silver dollar I bought about 8 months ago there were a couple peace dollars. I didn't really pay attention because I collect Morgans and was really happy with the Morgans I got - including my 2nd CC!

So last night I pull out the peace dollars to find a 1928 in F/VF condition! I had my local coin dealer give it a thumbs up today.

Now, I'm just unsure if I should hold onto it as the rare coin it is, or leverage it to buy some of the more uncommon Morgans...maybe a few CC's.

What do you guys think?

PS, in this condition it seems like it's around $550, however my dealer did mention it's cleaned. In this situation, how much would this knock the value down?

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I would say it would hurt the value quite a bit. Not sure of an exact number though. It might not hurt to get a second opinion on whether or not it has been cleaned. He might be looking to get a good deal.

S

stefen

Have it slabbed and then you'll have an idea of how much cleaning affected the coin.

This will also give you full knowledge when dealing with a Coin Dealer...and some leverage.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
It is what ever you prefer Morgans or Peace Dollars.I would however get a second opinion or send it in to get it slabbed and graded.That is the best Peace dollar that there is.If that coin hasn't been cleaned you
could get some nice $$ for it.Then you could buy some CC Morgans that you need if you prefer.
1928 Peace is a awesome coin :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fortbball9

OP
OP
S

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
Here are some average pics:

img209.jpg

img213.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread