Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The right angle cut around the lion suggests the coin was 'quartered'. If it were an 8-reales to begin with, it was then cut to be valued at 2-reales. An 8-reales coin coin will weigh about 27 grams. If yours weighs about 6.75 you have an "8"-- cut to a "2". If the orinigal coin were a 4, 2 or 1 real, you can use the same ratio.
If "H" is the first letter, it could be the beginning of HISP. or HISPA. or HISPANI; meaning 'of the Spains'.
IMO the coin will weigh even less since some of the coin appears to be missing--for some reason.
Don....

OP
OP
ncpaul

ncpaul

Greenie
Jan 30, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
DFX, w/10" D2, 6x9dd, 4x6dd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Thanks for the input. it measures 13mm from point to edge. So total diameter would have been 26mm. I do not have a scale. I agree, it is quartered cleanly on the cross. The missing corners (where the date would be) seem to be bent or bitten of. The edge is very jagged.
I am leaning towards a 2 reale.

Paul

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unfortunately, the diameter of a cob is not the best judge for its denomination since the diameter on each cob coin of this type (except presentation pieces) can vary substantially. You might ask your local jeweler or coin shop to weigh the coin, then add something for the missing piece of the quartered coin; take that weight times four and see what you get relative to the weight of an 8-reales. Knowing that ratio should get you very close to quessing the original coin's face value.
Don.......

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'd be interested if somebody has a link to a good website (with pics) that'll help us identify the differant reales. Anyone know of one?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cobs were minted for about two hundred years. I don't know of any website with pics of all of them, but I do know that books are available that can assist you. I especially like Frank W. Grove's book, "Coins of Mexico" (1981).

OP
OP
ncpaul

ncpaul

Greenie
Jan 30, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am told there is a coin book that deals with Spanish silver. These photos are not a cob. I found some good pic of 1 reales and the "column and bust" era. These quarters are in the 1732 - 1737 period. I would just like to get as close to a date as possible. This is a "Cross Pistareens" reale. Here is a good article on how Spanish silver made to the south. "When Cross Pistareens Cut Their Way Through the Tobacco Colonies
by
Thomas A. Kays; Alexandria, VA"

So pics of a 2 reale of the Phililp V period would be most helpful.
Paul

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ncpaul said:
I am told there is a coin book that deals with Spanish silver. These photos are not a cob. I found some good pic of 1 reales and the "column and bust" era. These quarters are in the 1732 - 1737 period. I would just like to get as close to a date as possible. This is a "Cross Pistareens" reale. Here is a good article on how Spanish silver made to the south. "When Cross Pistareens Cut Their Way Through the Tobacco Colonies
by
Thomas A. Kays; Alexandria, VA"

So pics of a 2 reale of the Phililp V period would be most helpful.
Paul

How about this link... has a 2 reale Philip V
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/Sp-milled.3.html

OP
OP
ncpaul

ncpaul

Greenie
Jan 30, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir, love that site. The referenced page starts with the "column" REV. 2 real. Later they became the "Bust and Column" variety. The 1/4 real I posted looks more like the previous page "1733 1 real".
Unfortunately the diameter is off.
Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread