penny.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 5,419

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I searched pennies more often these would turn up once in awhile. Also look for pennies with maps of states above the date. Over the years I've found Florida, Texas, Kentuckyand Kansas as well as one with a map of the US above the date and a tiny Liberty Bell above the word "Liberty."

Great stuff and a cool find!

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This topic seems to pop up here every few months.

Those coins were popular in the years following Kennedy's assassination. They were usually attached to a card listing some interesting parallels between Kennedy and Lincoln. I'll try to list a few that come to mind:

Andrew Johnson succeeded Lincoln. Lyndon Johnson succeeded Kennedy.

Andrew Johnson was born in '08. Lyndon Johnson was born in '08.

Booth (Lincoln's assassin) was born in '39. Oswald (Kennedy's assassin) was born in '39.

Both assassins were killed before being tried.

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy. Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.

Lincoln was shot in a theatre and his assassin fled to a barn. Kennedy's assassin shot him from a warehouse and fled to a theatre.

Both Lincoln and Kennedy were shot in the head.

Lincoln and Kennedy each have seven letters.

Both were elected Senator in '46. Both were elected President in '60.

Both lost a child while President.

There were many more similarities and parallels that were interesting. Maybe some of the others here can remember them.

Land-Sea

Jan 27, 2006
High Desert of California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Yes that is JFK. I work with a guy that has a vending machine business. He gets 3-10 variations of stamped coins like that one a week. I listed a batch of 50 on Ebay a few weeks ago and it went for $23. In the batch were similar stamped pennies. There were fraternal signs, states, angels and more. Not sure where they originated. Jake

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just went through my collection and found one similar. it has what i think is a cigar near his mouth, or a joint!depending your thinking process. there are many variations of the penny with symbols stamped on it. I think they are kinda neat though.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a list of all the different ones in my collection followed by the coin's date -

Batman logo (1970)
Masonic emblem (1970)
Boy Scout emblem (1971)
Eastern Star (women's version of the Masons; 1971, 1973)
Knights of Columbus (1971)
Smoking a cigar (1971, 1975)
With JFK (1971, 1973D, 1974, 1974D, 1979D)
Strategic Air Command (an airplane; 1971)
Star of David (1971)
Map of Florida (1975)
Map of USA & Liberty Bell (1975D)
Map of Kentucky (1978)
Map of Texas (1982)
Face of Santa Claus (1984)
Map of Kansas (1991)

There seems to be different versions of artwork on the JFK coins. Some picture him looking up at Lincoln, some have him staring straight at him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread