$5 dollar gold piece

wannabeafinder

Apr 5, 2007
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white xlt
My scanner is down but I will try to discribe this coin. It is authentic but I question it. On the front is lady liberty with one arm outstreched and on the back is a flying eagle and a nesting eagle. It says 1/10 oz. of fine gold. It has no date or mint marks. I paid $100 for it but doubt its worth $5 but the man was in a jam and needed money. How bad was I taken?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this your coin?

Oops, didn't finish my post. Diameter should be 16.5mm and 1.26mm thick. Weight in grams is 3.393. Are you sure there is no date in the rays on the obverse? If real, you did well.

Attachments

• $5 Eagle.jpg
    $5 Eagle.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 8,277
OP
OP
W

wannabeafinder

Apr 5, 2007
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white xlt
Thanks for the post. I looked for the date but it is in Roman numerals. Does that mean anything? The one you showed had a clear date.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman numerals were put on the coins in the beginning of the series (for a few years I believe) starting 1986 if i remember correctly. What are the numerals on yours?

edit to add: 1986-1991 had Roman numerals for the date. MCMLXXXVI, MCMLXXXVII, MCMLXXXVIII, MCMLXXXIX, MCMXC and MCMXCI.

OP
OP
W

wannabeafinder

Apr 5, 2007
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white xlt
looks like it is the 3rd one making it an 1988. What is the rarity and value of this coin? Thanks for the help I was flying blind. I collect morgans and had no idea what this was. I didn't care to help him but I didn't want to get taken and it looks like a good deal.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
159,500 minted. Selling for about $160 on ebay right now (loose coins)

Wanted to add: 1988 has the lowest mintage, for the 1/10 oz bullion coins, for the entire series. Proofs may be different, I didn't check on those.

Congrats on your deal. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread