1945-S Washington Quarter Repunched mintmark cherrypicked!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hello!

I'm the President of The Coil and Digger's Club of Lane County. One of my duties is purchasing silver coins for the prizes for the club.

Yesterday I went to the local coin shop to buy several Merc dimes, Silver Quarters, Silver Halves ~ I looked through their "junk silver" buckets and picked out the best examples. I didn't look through the ones I bought thoroughly until tonight. That's when I got out my loop and notice one looked interesting ~ a 1945-S with a repunched mintmark! I looked in my RPM book to see if it was a known variety and sure enough it is! RPM #3!

I took a close-up pic of the coin's mintmark, and a pic of the one pictured/listed in the RPM book. Obviously the one they pictured in the Book is in much better shape than the one I found ~ but still a cool find!

Thanks for looking!
Neil
www.cdclc.org

Attachments

• 1945SquarterRPM#3coin.jpg
    1945SquarterRPM#3coin.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 1945-SquarterRPM#3book.jpg
    1945-SquarterRPM#3book.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 359

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find. Didnt know there was one for the 45-s. Doesnt say anything in the red book about it. Is it worth anymore then just a regular 45-s?

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
mainer said:
Good find. Didnt know there was one for the 45-s. Doesnt say anything in the red book about it. Is it worth anymore then just a regular 45-s?

Oh yeah! There's an entire book on Repunched mintmarks! There's actually a few known for 1945-S Washington quarter ~ the one I found is #3 in the book for that date and mintmark.

The redbook would have to come in volumes if they listed all the known repuched mintmarks and other die varieties. The RedBook only list the most popular type of varieties.

8^)

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
Congratulations on a great find.RPMM are hard to find,You got to have a good eye and a Good Loupe also helps :laughing7: Nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread