Good Silver and an interesting clad error?

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bee lurking around this site for a long time now. :hello: I've learned a lot from the folks who post here, and have especially appreciated the responses to posts where members educate each other about various items. :icon_thumleft:

I have been limited from metal detecting by the weather, though the "bug" has me wanting to get out and detect in the snow. While confined to indoor treasure hunting I've dialed up the coin roll hunting. Halfs have been disappointing for me, but I've had good luck with pennies. I got the itch for silver, so I picked up a box of dimes. I have previously worked two or three boxes, and found a couple of silvers in one and got skunked in the others. Today's box (still working on it) has been pretty good. Two nice silver dimes, both Rosies (50-S and 60-D). I also found this interesting 2007 with a defect running from just above the "In God We Trust" motto, up through the face, and back down ending on the other side above the date.

I'm wondering if it is a defective coin from the mint, I think it is. :dontknow: Could it be from a faulty planchet, or is it more likely the result of a cracked die. The fault like shows the copper core of the coin through the clad material. The fault is evident to the touch and feels jagged.

I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks much,
Steve

Attachments

• Good Silver and an interesting error.jpg
    Good Silver and an interesting error.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 635
OP
OP
Steve L.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir. I thought that might be the case, but know you and the other folks that contribute regularly have much more experience and knowledge.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a better photo? The hair portion and the right field looks like a die crack but the portion on the face looks to be a lamination issue to me.

You said:
"The fault like shows the copper core of the coin through the clad material. The fault is evident to the touch and feels jagged."

A die crack would have a raised portion of the nickel across the coin, not a jagged edge that shows the copper core.

OP
OP
Steve L.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging in the Past,
I'll try for a better shot. The one posted was taken through a magnifying glass, but I have a hard time getting a good focused image. If I can't do any better then in a couple of days I should be able to get a Jason B who also posts here to post a clean shot of the coin. He has a magnifying scope he can shoot images through, they come out beautifully.
The copper seems to be a copper tint at the lower-left portions of the fissure. I called it copper showing through and it might be. It could also be the tone of the surface.
Thanks for taking the time to look and to post a comment. Either way, I thought it was an unusual surface and a feature not often seen.
Steve

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a neat piece either way Steve and Diver_Down may be right about simply being a die break but it could be something more/different. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more pics. :icon_thumright:

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JasonB said:
Steve,

This is the same coin. It's valued at $750!!! You scored big my friend!

http://www.fredweinberg.com/inventory/item.php?ID=5274

Congrats!

JasonB

Sure enough! Good ID, JasonB. :thumbsup: Steve's doesn't appear to have as much cud retained, but it is obvious that his coin came from this major die shatter. Maybe not quite worth $750, but probably worth enough to get it looked at or slabbed.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Steve's coin is nicer than his pics show. I'm going to shoot some close ups with my coin microscope tonight and I'll post them tomorrow.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info Jason. I felt there was more to his coin than first appeared, can't wait to see some better pics. :thumbsup:

Coinkid has several valid points in his post but I think the added info and better pics will allow the board to make an accurate assessment.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Coinkid said:
JasonB said:
Steve,

This is the same coin. It's valued at $750!!! You scored big my friend!

http://www.fredweinberg.com/inventory/item.php?ID=5274

Congrats!

JasonB

I saw that too, but didn't post it because it's NOT the same as his. The one on Fred's site is a MUCH later die state. Also, it's graded by PCGS as MS66. In addition, there are TWO of them that you get in that lot for $750.

-Paul

Paul -

Didn't see the two for one. Thanks for correcting that.

I'll post the better pics and we'll let you guys evaluate what this coin is or is not. Greatly appreciate the information and opinions.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Here are the pics. So, what does Steve have?

Attachments

• 07 Dime 1.jpg
    07 Dime 1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 447
  • 07 Dime 2.jpg
    07 Dime 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 444
  • 07 Dime 3.jpg
    07 Dime 3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 444

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason - Outstanding pics! :thumbsup:

As for the type of error: Shattered Die similar to the one in the link you posted. The two coins are from different dies though.

I'd spend the money on this one and have it graded/slabbed by PCGS.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Thanks - I use a $60 eBay coin microscope from Hong Kong. It has a 200X zoom - love it.

I think you're right, best to send to PCGS and get it graded.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Oooh! It's a later die state than I thought! It does have a NICE retained cud on it!

I wouldn't send it to PCGS though...they're overpriced on grading error coins. They charge the regular tier price for grading + $40 for the error designation. Send it to NGC and save yourself 40 bucks.

-Paul

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Steve L. said:
Digging in the Past,
I'll try for a better shot. The one posted was taken through a magnifying glass, but I have a hard time getting a good focused image. If I can't do any better then in a couple of days I should be able to get a Jason B who also posts here to post a clean shot of the coin. He has a magnifying scope he can shoot images through, they come out beautifully.
The copper seems to be a copper tint at the lower-left portions of the fissure. I called it copper showing through and it might be. It could also be the tone of the surface.
Thanks for taking the time to look and to post a comment. Either way, I thought it was an unusual surface and a feature not often seen.
Steve

Awesome find!!! I'd actually like to get more info on the magnifier used to take those pics. I've got a bunch of errors that my camera won't pick up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions