Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture Or Description Please.

It's not U.S. if it's real.

No Silver Pennies here Ever, Not even Special issues that I know of.

ANYONE ? ANYONE ? ???

OP
OP
C

chesterseeker

looks like a penny but its silver maybe some kind of steel but looks silver to me

Attachments

• pics penny.jpg
    pics penny.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3,690

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
maybe an error with the plating? i dont think a silver or steel 98 penny was ever minted. even for a collectors set.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
options are:

A) it has been plated/ painted
B) An extremely rare and valuable error in which a dime or nickel blank gets into the penny line (check the side for clad or weird size)
C) counterfeit (total error from a dime blank , which is pretty easy to get)

These are the most likely, if you are really serious, take it to a coin show/PCGS (i think that's the name)

I have one of those, i still don't know if it's real or not.

Very nice find, hope you find out exactly what it is.

-GC

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
I just saw one of those last week in a coin shop and I asked the guy about it.

He said that it was zinc and that they screwed up and didn't put the copper finish on the penny.

I don't know if that is true or not - that is just what the owner of the coin shop told me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll lay money on urbss being right ;)

Pure Zinc

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi All,
In 1982 the composition of the Lincoln cents was changed. There are some cents made of the previous composition and the newer cents in 1982 to the present are made of planchets that are zinc plated with copper.

It is difficult to know for sure what the deal is with this coin without a close look at tit.

There are some possibilities.
Sometimes, the planchet does not rcieve the copper plating and is then struck into a coin.

Sometimes the plating is removed. It is done very often in chemistry classes as an experiment.

Sometimes the coin is plated to be sold as a novelty. You would see them offered for sale on the home shopping networks and places like that.

A coin that was never plated and struck has some value. The other possibilities are considered by collectors to be after-mint damage and worthless.

Only a close examination by someone very familiar with these can give you the proper diagnosis.

Have Fun,
Bill

RobertW

Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have one. Did you ever find out anything on this coin?

RobertW

Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have the same coin did you ever find anything out on it?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have the same coin did you ever find anything out on it?

Welcome to the forum! Chances are it's been plated after it left the mint. It appears the OP hasn't been here for at least 14 years. Post a picture of your coin.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I found 5 quarters near a high school that had been gold plated take it to an expert ya never know

Angie D

Mar 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a similar penny. 20200304_232637.jpg
1998 silver and copper withno mintmark
20200304_232658.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
All “silver” pennies are plated post mint. Any modern cent which may lack copper plating will have a gray color, not silver.
I recently found out that a few local gradeschools are still teaching chemical reactions by plating pennies. I was originally taught this in grade school over 50 years ago.

Time for more coffee.

Feb 4, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett grand master 3, whites xlt,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks silver cant find any info on this coin so im here again to ask the pros ...Thanks
I too have one, copper and a silver or aluminum coming threw. All zink pennies should weigh 3.11g this one I have weighs 2.11g. there was a very rare penny once discovered to be aluminum. ????

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have one, copper and a silver or aluminum coming threw. All zink pennies should weigh 3.11g this one I have weighs 2.11g. there was a very rare penny once discovered to be aluminum. ????
Copper cents weigh 3.11, zinc cents weigh around 2.5. There were pattern aluminum cents made in 1974, samples were passed out to government officials for examination and all were supposed to be returned. A few weren't and are extremely rare, however they are illegal to own and would be subject to seizure. The aluminum cents weighe much less. It sounds like you have a normal, damaged zinc cent.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Copper cents weigh 3.11, zinc cents weigh around 2.5. There were pattern aluminum cents made in 1974, samples were passed out to government officials for examination and all were supposed to be returned. A few weren't and are extremely rare, however they are illegal to own and would be subject to seizure. The aluminum cents weighe much less. It sounds like you have a normal, damaged zinc cent.
Agreed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread