copper 5cent jefferson?

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
not sure or not if this nickel is made of copper or not. I found it today at work. the only reason I think that it might be copper other than the color, is that it has some green spots on it. the picture I am posting isn't the greatest so you can't really see the greenish tint between the letters but you can see the spot behind the head well enough in this picture. anyway anyone know it is copper? ???

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 192
  • back cn.jpg
    back cn.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
F

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
wouldn't be bad to soak it in some bam overnight then, not to concerned about damaging it if its just from the dirt :p, bam gets coins clean like new if you don't mind damaging the coin ( don't know what type of damage can be done, but I assume it can be allot being it made a penny look bran new over night )

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
heres another thought, I cleaned some coins in a sonic cleaner with dilluted nitric acid several years back, pennies nickles and dimes, the pennies were chewed up and completely dissolved, the nickles and dimes came out a pretty copper though, they are out there in the world somewhere in circulation.

OP
OP
F

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
I started soaking the nickel in bam! today so I will wait another day or so until I take it out.... maybe sooner though becuase it started cleaning it almost as soon as I stuck it in. I checked it after about a hour and the back looks like it is copper and the front looks like its nickel.... but there are a couple of points on the head that look like it could be worn down and showing copper from undernieth. I will post more pics after its done soaking. I think I will take it out sooner now that I think about it. I will post the pics of it before I go to bed :)

OP
OP
F

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
well soaked it in the BAM and now this is what it looks like, the front has some copperish look to it ( probably worn down?) and the back has a faint copperish look to it but it looks like a nickel now :)

Attachments

• cn after.jpg
    cn after.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 170
  • cn after back.jpg
    cn after back.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 160

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread