Counterfeit coin making

Hogman

Mar 14, 2011
About five years ago a man bought several silver dollars at the Canton Fleamarket in Texas. He went to another coin dealer and looked at his coins and complained about how high they were. The dealer looked at the coins the man had bought and they were chinese knockoffs. Long story short the dealer that sold the chinese silver dollars was arrested for selling counterfeit dollars. They took everything including his vehicle.

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
How long have the counterfeits been common on the market? I've got silver dollars that my Mom bought in the 70s , some from the 80s, and some from the past 5 years. I'm trying to figure out if they are fake or real but the more info I look up the more confused I get! I have an OK gram scale but I'm hearing that you can't always trust the weight. I've gotten the "cartwheel effect" thing down but I'm hearing that that may not be reliable. None of my coins are attracted to a magnet but I've heard that that isn't reliable either. What is the best way to tell real from fake?

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fakes that I have seen are obvious if you know your coins. I saw a picture of a fake Peace Dollar the other day that was dated 1990 something. Of course they didn't make any Peace Dollars in the '90s. I would say that your coins that you recieved in the '70s and '80s are pretty safe. Those from the '90s are probably OK too. Just my opinion.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just saw some on eBay (surprise, surprise). The price was only about $18.00 for SIX U.S. Piece dollars :o That's right 3.00 for a 1923 Peace Dollar. Now you got to reading the description and they clearly stated THESE ARE REPLICAS. But my point is, how many small sellers are snapping up 100 Morgans @ $300 bucks and making a ton by selling them off at 30 bucks each? I use to think it was safe just getting the common dates that weren't worth much more than melt price. But when the fake product is this cheap, even the low end silver dollars are a 1000% profit. I hear they are Tungsten or Lead with Silver plating. I think the really poor condition cheap silver dollars are a safe bet, just for "junk silver" . Of course if you go to your local reputable dealer, or even an online dealer that has a good reputation you should be safe.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a couple hundred years ago and maybe even 150yrs ago counterfeiting money = death.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread