airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - Back with another question!

Same vendor that had the Trade Dollars, has also a dozen or so Maria Theresia Taler 1780 trade coins. One in particular (pictured), seems to have an rectangular over-stamp. What little research I've done online, I've only found one rectangular over-stamp from Java or Indonesia. The coin looks like it's either a fake (it is fairly heavy, more so than other cupro coins of about the same size) and it looks as if someone attempted to sand off the counter stamp - either again, to make it look like there WAS a counter-stamp (i.e. faked) or because someone with more knowledge said it was significant and could be sold like that. Lastly, I know these trade coins are 752/1000 Ag (or is it 833?) and the 'h' in Thaler was dropped at the 1901 minting (after or before?) Outside of that, I only with I would have gotten a picture of the reverse side for you all...

It's pretty exciting knowing this area I'm in currently is of historical significance. The Silk road is literally 300m from where I lay my head down every night to sleep. Of course, I temper this knowledge with the fact that over the past 10 years, tens of thousands of people have come before me, looking for the same thing! ;)

Oh - right! Almost forgot to ask; Do these MTT trade coins, esp. this one that beat all to hell, have much worth outside of the value of the Ag content?

Thank you all in advance for your replies and; Be gentle good people, I know the daily dangers my pocket-book faces!

Attachments

• DSCF7583.JPG
    DSCF7583.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 585

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that sanding in characteristic of coins found metal detecting. you take it out of sandy soil and rub it to see what you found and you scratch the sand across the surface. looks like whoever found it was right-handed

HH
-GC

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same dealer has another, older MTT with the counter stamp too and a half dozen or so real 'fresh' looking ones. I suspect these two worn ones are about 50-60 years old, but definitely not more than 100 years old, where as the newer ones are no more than 20-30 years old.

I have been doing a bit of research online about the MTTs, but can't find too much info regarding the counter stamps. I know the what and why, I just have no idea as to whether it increases their value, or decreases it. This vendor wants WAY too much, IMO, (140. USD) for them and I would not pay a cent more than HALF his asking price, which is more than double the Ag value. I dunno - maybe I'm wrong in my pricing!

He has a few other odds and ends for silver coins, something I'll have to look into more, as well.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ebay had two sales of MTTs earlier this month; one at $28.05 and another at $32. Since then (12/5) silver has plummeted. Draw your own conclusion as to what common (brilliant, but without an overstamp) MMTs are worth today then adjust for the overstamp if you can find comparable sales.
Don.....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
MTTs are not rare and only sell for bullion content. In my opinion, they are trap for new collectors in that they see the date and assume old = expensive. If you want an example in your collection, then there is plenty to choose from at melt pricing.

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure, DD. The past 2 days have been an education!

Nice coin, but not at all worth even close to what he's asking. Of course, I'll see if I can get them as cheap as I can, but I'm sure he won't bite. There's always some gullible GI behind me, willing to pay his asking price of 140. USD, just because of the 1780 date.

Thank you Mackaydon for your input too...

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Mackaydon said:
The MTT, dated 1780, was minted in that year and every subsequent year, through at least the year 2000-all with the date of 1780; one of the most popular coins in history.

I just bought one new from the Austrian Mint reps at the 2011 Worlds Fair of Money this summer. So they are still making them...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions