Buffalo with a blob

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
I've posted this nickel on some coin sites without much success. Almost everyone who had an opinion thinks this is a piece of solder or other material added after the coin left the mint. I have examined the piece VERY closely, and the material is the same nickel material which comprises the coin. Embedded in the "blob" are several letters--possibly part of "Liberty" but are of a different style than those of the Buffalo.....I thought maybe from a coin of another denomination. I truly believe this is some sort of mint error, but first, I am NO expert, and second, the coin belongs to me, and that may make me somewhat partial to my theory. What do you guys and gals think--mint error, or a later "add on"? I would love to hear your opinions, no matter whether pro or con! Thanks!

Attachments

• ErrorNickel.JPG
    ErrorNickel.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 478

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the letters, and the font is off another coin type and denomination. So my opinion is that another coin was melted onto this coin, and it might have been on purpose. A house fire would have melted both coins.

I just can't think of anything during the minting process that could cause this to happen.

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
CoinHELP! said:
I can see the letters, and the font is off another coin type and denomination. So my opinion is that another coin was melted onto this coin, and it might have been on purpose. A house fire would have melted both coins.

I just can't think of anything during the minting process that could cause this to happen.
That's an excellent theory, and one I had not thought of--I think you might be on to something! Thanks!

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
It was melted together with another coin to make some kind of jewelery like a bracelet. They used to do that a lot in the 60's and 70's. The bond usually wasn't the best and this coin probably broke off the bracelet.

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
capndan151 said:
It was melted together with another coin to make some kind of jewelery like a bracelet. They used to do that a lot in the 60's and 70's. The bond usually wasn't the best and this coin probably broke off the bracelet.

Another great idea! Why didn't I think of any of these? I guess I just wanted it to be a rare (and valuable) mint error so badly, I had blinders on!

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I think everyone is right on the mark here. :icon_thumleft:

A multiple coin belt buckle comes to mind for me but it could have been just about anything, with just about any other coin soldered onto it.

Cool nonetheless. :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
I wholeheartedly agree with all the theories put forth here, but one thing still haunts me--I went back yet another time to examine the nickel and the "blob" is not really solder of any kind as far as I can tell--it's actual nickel material just like the coin itself. I did some tests on it and it's the same color, hardness, and (I think!) physical composition as the nickel itself. Do they make a nickel solder? If that's the case, then problem solved. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread