Looking for opinion on 3 silver dollars

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm looking to get the opinions of some of you guys out there that are a little more experienced in this subject. So I have been talking to a guy on Craigslist that is selling 3 silver dollars that he says he has found in his house while cleaning. They are 2 Morgan's and a peace dollar he is asking 90 dollars for all 3 so it comes out to about 30 bucks per coin which I figured is reasonable. Now the years are 1922 for the peace and 1878 and 1889 for the Morgan's I was thinking that perhaps the 1878 would make this a good deal but still looking for all of your opinions. Again thanks for your time and wisdom.

5La5X35J93K13o33Hec7l0bef3c6f44421299.jpg 5Nd5L95G73I83F63H8c7l94deb3d773cc18b4.jpg

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Condition, rarity, type and mint location are four (minimum) considerations when buying coins. What are the mint marks, if any?
Is the '22 a 'high relief' or 'normal 'relief' coin? Use the Official Red Book as a guide to condition. Other sources are online that can help you with determining condition (ratings between 1 and 70). If these coins are all common mints and less than in AU-50 condition, I'd think the price of $90 is too much to pay. Then again, if the '22 is in 'high relief', it could be worth in the tens of thousands. Do the research and satisfy yourself.
Don....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Condition, rarity, type and mint location are four (minimum) considerations when buying coins. What are the mint marks, if any?
Is the '22 a 'high relief' or 'normal 'relief' coin? Use the Official Red Book as a guide to condition. Other sources are online that can help you with determining condition (ratings between 1 and 70). If these coins are all common mints and less than in AU-50 condition, I'd think the price of $90 is too much to pay. Then again, if the '22 is in 'high relief', it could be worth in the tens of thousands. Do the research and satisfy yourself.
Don....

Don't worry about the high relief/low relief '22. What the OP has in the picture is '23. The '23 looks exceptionally nice (bad lighting/bad picture), but the Morgans look like melt. That being said, $30/each isn't too high. Offer the guy $80.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my opinion, if you can't Handle them before buying especially.

Yes they look real in the pic by toneing.

however pics never do any justice to coins.

as per coinflation right now, each coin is worth
$21.1074 Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?
that will change tomorrow, but unless lightening strikes, not by much

Dealers would maybe pay $20. MAYBE

offer him $60.00

& in no case I would pay over $75 on a haggle at todays prices
and on a gamble, considering how they say China is getting better at counterfeiting.
& even so, since they are not Key date CC's go low end IMO

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread