Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good coins? There Arnt any coins and the store was run buy young white hippies who should have not noticed it when collected

They could have been hipsters and not hippies. "Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities". (urban dictionary dot com). I would have asked to trade out.

SaludaTeacha

Feb 19, 2011
Leesville, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They could have wanted to give a little more than a clad quarter as offering to Buddha

This. Perhaps the person leaving the quarter was well aware that is was silver and left it because of that reason. Since there is no way of knowing, then you should never take or replace something that was an offering.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hippies know about silver. It's a 60's thing. Just sayen.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you take something out of the collection plate at church? Just asking.

Aug 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, new to the boards.

As much as I hate for my first post to a new community be slightly antagonistic, I feel the need to come to JohnBear's defense on this one. It's a quarter, people. A quarter. The odds of a highly immaterialist Buddhist practitioner realizing a) The monetary value of their coin, and b) Deciding to offer up this silver to the Supreme teacher is not only unlikely, it's virtually impossible. So long as he replaced the monetary value of the coin, I see no problem. Personally, whether it's a statue of offering, a wishing well, or a collection plate, I'd have taken that coin. I probably would've replaced it with greater than face-value instead of a straight swap, out of respect, but the principle remains the same.

As an atheist, maybe my opinion is slightly less than objective in this particular instance, but to all those comparing this to the tithings you offer up in your Sunday best, you should perhaps caution yourself on imposing Western idealism on Eastern practitioners. After all, not every religion cares about hoarding practitioner's money for pedophiles.

Besides, no need to criticize! If you do happen to believe in some sort of celestial dictatorship, take solace in the fact that your personal God will punish JohnBear for the full melt value of that coin! Then again, he may be rewarded for plundering a false idol's offerings. After all, God works in mysterious ways! :laughing7:

To JohnBear: Sweet find!
To everyone else: Get over where he found it, jeez.

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it's in a take-a-penny/leave-a-penny, I always ask before trading. Stealing donations and jumping into wishing wells is reprehensible. I'm with Diver Down on this.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew well aware what it was but to someone without the knowledge of it being silver uses it just as a 25cent coin so it's the same thing as a clad quarter cuz the would spend it all the same and they prolly didnt know it was silver I did nothing wrong for no one lost anything and it's not like a false idol such as Buddha would really know because hes not real it was a offering to a false idol so what's bad about switching the quarter

This is the quote I find most disgusting. I'll make sure that all religious leaders consult you on what is a 'real' religion or not before they begin worshiping. I didn't know you could rate someone's belief in religion so casually based on their ethnicity/appearance.

Let me know when you want to search the money in the collection plate at the "House of Our Imaginary Friend Jesus". I'm sure people will get a kick out of it. What's Jesus going to do with it? Go to the mall and use that one quarter for a bubble gum ball?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the quote I find most disgusting. I'll make sure that all religious leaders consult you on what is a 'real' religion or not before they begin worshiping. I didn't know you could rate someone's belief in religion so casually based on their ethnicity/appearance.

Let me know when you want to search the money in the collection plate at the "House of Our Imaginary Friend Jesus". I'm sure people will get a kick out of it. What's Jesus going to do with it? Go to the mall and use that one quarter for a bubble gum ball?

Do not want to start a "Flame" war over religion but I am going to say one thing. The grave where Budha was buried has been found and documented, can't say the same for "Christian/Catholic" based
religions.

Not sayin, just sayin.....

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
Do not want to start a "Flame" war over religion but I am going to say one thing. The grave where Budha was buried has been found and documented, can't say the same for "Christian/Catholic" based
religions.

Oh believe me, I am agnostic and oppose organized religion. But I know better to respect the spiritual beliefs of others, regardless of my personal opinion. Taking a religious offering is inappropriate, since it may have a significance to others that we don't understand.

I just used Jesus because, like Buddha, he was a religious and moral leader and not deified, or at least not supposed to be. Plus he's a more recognized figure in this geographically and culturally centric forum.

OP
OP
JohnBear

JohnBear

Apr 11, 2012
Saint Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
accordselux said:

The "money plate" is not a offering to Jesus it's a donation to the church to help it with costs so u should get ur facts straight befor u say that. Cuz there is no gold cross anywhere that people throw money at ok?

OP
OP
JohnBear

JohnBear

Apr 11, 2012
Saint Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
religions.

And there is no grave site for Buddha... People "say" that his body was cremated and put into jars and that a tooth of his Is at a church??? A tooth really? How many people have teeth? And it could be dust... Also when the so called "grave site" was dug up all they found was a shoe... And why don't we have a grave site for jesus? Now I'm not saying Buddha wasent but he is a false idol he is not the creator or the savior he was a person who had good lessons to teach....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread