1919 penny error?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I recently decided to look through some random rolls of wheat pennies that I rolled up as a kid about 20+ years ago. I found this one amongst them and wanted any advice on it from the vast knowledge here on the website. On the obverse right side the coin is bent towards the reverse side, also the area seen on the obverse near the bottom left of the coin seems to have letters marked into the rim, and on the reverse in the same area there are also letters marked in the rim area. Thank you in advance for help me in understanding how this happened or any information you can provide. =)

20130120_221557_zps53d513d6.jpg

20130120_233237_zps547059e4.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just damaged, someone pressed another coin into it.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any information or knowledge to pass on to me as to how its easily identified as someone did this and not a mint error? To help me learn how to spot real errors vs experiments by someone.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
It appears unto me that someone has taken this cent as well as another, placed them in some kind of vice or something and have pressed them together. Again this is just my opinion. I have been wrong before. Keep looking and keep searching about this coin though.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lettering is reversed and incuse, the only way this could happen is from another coin pressing into this one. If it was double struck, the lettering would be normal. The damage on the reverse is probably from a vise, or where the coin was hit with a hammer to squeeze the coins together.

CaliShawnNokc

Dec 30, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/9in coil
Whites MXT PRO w/DD 6x10
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lettering is reversed and incuse, the only way this could happen is from another coin pressing into this one. If it was double struck, the lettering would be normal. The damage on the reverse is probably from a vise, or where the coin was hit with a hammer to squeeze the coins together.

He never said it was double struck. He asked what the error would be. I have a post that I made asking a question and Bigscores said "most of the double-sided coins known are the result of brockages, where a coin gets caught in the die and flipped over, then the incoming planchet is struck by the obverse/reverse die and the coin stuck inside the striking chamber with it. 60023602m.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, doesn't resemble a brockage either, the incuse image wasn't done with that much pressure, the pressure was applied unevenly and brockages seldom have vise or damage marks on the opposite side. The main point being, it is a damaged coin, not an error.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was possibly intentional or possibly a coin stuck and was stuck on the die when your blank was struck as posted above.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was possibly intentional or possibly a coin stuck and was stuck on the die when your blank was struck as posted above.

Enough already! This is a garage job. It didn't happen at the mint. Not an error!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread