Morgan Silver Dollars *pics*

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Don't worry about slabbing them as they all show evidence of wear and tear. Get some flips as those bags will ruin the coins over time. The 1884 CC looks suspect. My guess is that it is counterfeit.

OP
OP
KennyFLA

KennyFLA

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll need to check this out as well even though I dont have any morgans yet I want to start getting some and better cover my A- any tips for spotting counterfeits?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1884 cc is almost certainly counterfeit, the first you posted has been very harshly cleaned, the rest seem to be just nice circulated coins. Nothing worth getting slabbed.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess I'll need to check this out as well even though I dont have any morgans yet I want to start getting some and better cover my A- any tips for spotting counterfeits?

The first step to check them for counterfeiting would be putting a magnet to them. If it is silver or a very good fake, then it won't stick to the magnet. If it sticks to the magnet, then you are 100% certain that is counterfeit.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first step to check them for counterfeiting would be putting a magnet to them. If it is silver or a very good fake, then it won't stick to the magnet. If it sticks to the magnet, then you are 100% certain that is counterfeit.

I thought you were nuts, but apparently the Chinese counterfeit a lot of coins and they use iron-based planchets. You have to use a strong magnet, but use one.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought you were nuts, but apparently the Chinese counterfeit a lot of coins and they use iron-based planchets. You have to use a strong magnet, but use one.

You don't need a strong magnet. I can use a kitchen magnet on a few Chinese fakes I have.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You first need to figure out the authenticity of the Carson City, and in my humble opinion I think any cc should be slabbed. I would agree on all the other coins, no real need to slab any of them just get 'em in good plastic holders.

OP
OP
KennyFLA

KennyFLA

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the responses and I tried out the magnet trick and it is not atttracted to the Carson City or any others. Is there any other definitive way of telling or should I just take it to get looked at?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold and Silver test kits are under $20 on Amazon, little bottles of a light acid.

They're even finding counterfeit half dollars now. And a whole lot of ingots too. Be wary! Now, if you dig it out of the ground, it's less likely to be fake :)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to tell you this but the 84-CC, the 79, and the 80-S are definitely fake. Not sure about the rest but if they all came from the same place I would bet they are fake as well.

OP
OP
KennyFLA

KennyFLA

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses, I cant recall which ones I bought together or from where. Why do you say that those specific ones are definatly fake? I just want to know what to look for in the future. Thanks again.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses, I cant recall which ones I bought together or from where. Why do you say that those specific ones are definatly fake? I just want to know what to look for in the future. Thanks again.

Take them to a dealer you trust; I know that can be an oxymoron, but you'll find one - they're out there.

I guess I haven't kept up on counterfieting (why would I?). I don't buy Indian artifacts any more, nor WW2 stuff. The bad stuff's just too good.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Counterfeit coins are very hard for someone to detect if they are good. Indeed high-end fakes of gold coins have been made that use the exact alloy of gold of where the gold was mined and nearly flawless dies!

When it comes to silver coins, often a silver coin will not feel right, it will feel slippery and odd. The magnet test will tell you for sure if you have a fake (if a silver dollar is attracted to a magnet at all it is for sure a fake) but the vast majority of fakes I've dealt with are either silver plated copper or copper-nickel and will not stick to a magnet. Just because a coin won't stick to a magnet doesn't mean its real!

A lot of it comes from simply handling a bunch of coins rather than any particular "flaw" that is easy to describe, the coin just looks "wrong"

Another test that can be used is the "ring test" silver has a particular ring to it, hold a known good silver dollar at the edge of your finger and tap it with something like a pencil eraser, it should make a bell-like tone. Next, do the same thing to something that isn't silver such as an Eisenhower dollar and do the same thing, it should make a "plink" or a thud sound. Then do it to the suspect coin, if its silver it should sound like the known silver coin. Keep in mind you must do this GENTLY, you don't want to scratch up a potentially valuable coin!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 84 looks "softer", with no toning, than the rest. Looks grey. Weight will be the test you can do yourself. 26.73 grams. The date looks funny too. Appears to be made to look worn. Hence....softened. I have a counterfeit 1885 that I dug. Will post pics in am. As some of the others have said....it appears others you have may be CFT. Hogge

OP
OP
KennyFLA

KennyFLA

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread