Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Like It
american-liberty.jpg
Someone with actual Sense

The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) has long recommended to Congress the idea of creating a series of circulating coins featuring new depictions of Liberty. After years of inaction by Congress, several CCAC members recently became much more vocal advocates of the program, and it seems that these recent efforts have finally done the trick.
On June 27, 2013, a bill was introduced in the House of Representatives which seeks to authorize the American Liberty Commemorative Coinage Program. Broadly, the program would include the issuance of dimes, quarters, and half dollars with designs emblematic and allegoric of the concept of American Liberty. The new proposal overcomes some of what may have been considered the sticking points of the previous attempts and strongly positions the program as an opportunity to reduce the Federal deficit.

Bill Seeks American Liberty Themed Circulating Coinage ? Mint News Blog

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jeff-of Pa,Explain the significance of the stick-n-sack over her shoulder?

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pattern in the original post by jeff of pa was submitted as a design for the S.B.A. dollars but obviously was not chosen, also that is not a bag on a pole but rather a phrygian cap which signifies liberty.

The Phrygian cap is a soft conical cap with the top pulled forward, associated in antiquity with the inhabitants of Phrygia, a region of central Anatolia. In the western provinces of the Roman Empire it came to signify freedom and the pursuit of liberty, perhaps through a confusion with the pileus, the felt cap of manumitted (emancipated) slaves of ancient Rome. Accordingly, the Phrygian cap is sometimes called a liberty cap; in artistic representations it signifies freedom and the pursuit of liberty.

Phrygian cap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Great! It only took them close to 100 years, but I look forward to the day when my pocket change has Liberty rather than more dead presidents.

And the SBA dollar pattern is perhaps one of the saddest stories in American numismatics, what is easily the most beautiful US coin design in the last 50 years doesn't get produced and instead one of the ugliest coins in history is released instead.

Now, hopefully they'll make sure to make this with a heavy enough strike...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pattern in the original post by jeff of pa was submitted as a design for the S.B.A. dollars but obviously was not chosen, also that is not a bag on a pole but rather a phrygian cap which signifies liberty.

Thanks ! I just saw his Question.

yes it's the "Liberty Cap" on a "Liberty Pole" if you google "Liberty Cap cent' it appeared in 1793 on the Large cents

not a whole lot different then a Hillbilly Hat,
if hanging on a very long corn cob pipe :laughing7:

hillbilly_hat_feather_pipe.JPG

here is a good description of the poll http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_pole

Last edited:

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey coinguy, Thanks for the Phrygian cap def.-learn something new every day. I didn't think that was a minted coin as it had a '77 date and the bill to make new coins was just recently introduced (June 27, 2013). Now that 1/2 my question has been ans.- what is the pole/ stick significance?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey coinguy, Thanks for the Phrygian cap def.-learn something new every day. I didn't think that was a minted coin as it had a '77 date and the bill to make new coins was just recently introduced (June 27, 2013). Now that 1/2 my question has been ans.- what is the pole/ stick significance?

not to be mistaken for a Festivus poll,

here is a good description of the Liberty poll Liberty pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone else think it looks like the cross of a man and a woman?

I thought the same on my first look :(

her Jaw is a Little too Masculine for my taste, (combination of Welch, & Jolie :( )
But still better then lincoln, washington, Roosevelt, Kennedy, sac. etc.

Last edited:

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not to be mistaken for a Festivus poll,

here is a good description of the Liberty poll Liberty pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks jeff of pa, interesting read/ great info- I always thought the staff with the seated liberty was like 'the staff of life' or something. Didn't realize the significance or history of the 'liberty pole' and the Phrygian cap.

Now that they are trying pass a bill to make new coins- what do you think they will be made of? imported china plastic- maybe? well that will be hard to detect for in 2-300 years, won't it.???

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks jeff of pa, interesting read/ great info- I always thought the staff with the seated liberty was like 'the staff of life' or something. Didn't realize the significance or history of the 'liberty pole' and the Phrygian cap.

Now that they are trying pass a bill to make new coins- what do you think they will be made of? imported china plastic- maybe? well that will be hard to detect for in 2-300 years, won't it.???

LOL "imported china plastic" :laughing7: all the lead paint should set off a detector :thumbsup:

Seriously though, By guess the Steel Companies will eventually win out.
especially since Canada is already using it.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL "imported china plastic" :laughing7: all the lead paint should set off a detector :thumbsup:

Seriously though, By guess the Steel Companies will eventually win out.
especially since Canada is already using it.

Had not thought about "lead paint"- your right, still detectable. What is Canada already using? lead coin?? Is lead cheaper than zinc- heavier I know.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had not thought about "lead paint"- your right, still detectable. What is Canada already using? lead coin?? Is lead cheaper than zinc- heavier I know.

some Canadian pennies in 2002-01 had copper plated steel compositions.

Not sure on the other Canadian coins.

due to the enviroMentalists & health doomsdayers,
lead will never be used in coinage.

If someones child picked up a lead coin and popped it in their mouth,
it would be like the streets of new york while King Kong was loose.

-

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
some Canadian pennies in 2002-01 had copper plated steel compositions.

Not sure on the other Canadian coins.

due to the enviroMentalists & health doomsdayers,
lead will never be used in coinage.

If someones child picked up a lead coin and popped it in their mouth,
it would be like the streets of new york while King Kong was loose.

-

Why would lead even be considered for use in coins?

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello coinguy, like the hendecagon effect- different and distinct. But she still looks to manly- thick neck, hard jaw line, protruding chin, large lips, open mouth, flared large nostril. She does have a pretty eye though. Took a sec. to see the copy- what effects program are you using? Your talented with it. :headbang: :notworthy: HH yelnif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread