1985 D Dime, possible error?

eric91m

Oct 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not much into coins specifically, but received this as change today and wasn't quite sure what to think of it.

1985 front.jpg 1985 back.jpg

Don't have a decent camera so did a scan. Any help would be appreciated, if it is something a possible value would be great also.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you making reference to the obverse being struck upside down?

OP
OP
E

eric91m

Oct 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No it faces the correct way, on the front the entire edge seems missing, then on the back it seems partly missing at spots and the lettering weakens around the edges on both sides.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
No it faces the correct way, on the front the entire edge seems missing, then on the back it seems partly missing at spots and the lettering weakens around the edges on both sides.

Struck through grease or worn, either way no extra value. Maybe a $1 or $2 for it's a struck through grease.

Cdajoh

Jun 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either you spent this dime and I came across it or maybe there is a error on the 1985 D dime i have one and it is identicle to yours. Same flaws

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Either you spent this dime and I came across it or maybe there is a error on the 1985 D dime i have one and it is identicle to yours. Same flaws

I know that this Thread is old but to answer your question, yes it is not only possible but highly likely that more 1985-D Dimes exist with the same error! The O.P.'s coin and apparently your' Dime were both struck through grease and partially out of the collar.

Partial Collar Strike Mint Error: RailRoad Rim, Out Of Collar

Frank

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very common

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to bring up a dead thread but this isn't a struck through grease. A lot of the 1985s P and D had this. Mr. Mike Diamond explains it is due to "excessive obverse convexity (a design flaw) and inadequate upset."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread