Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Im sorta torn wheather or not I should clean this .

It the best condition V Nickel I have found also the best one I own.

I just dont want to clean it , then have regrets

Ive never really "Cleaned" a coin before and destroyed it, but I have heard serveral Stories of it happening

Any Opinion is welcome

thanks!

Attachments

• 1906vNick_front.jpg
    1906vNick_front.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 150
  • SG1L5353.JPG
    SG1L5353.JPG
    468.5 KB · Views: 142

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doesn't have much numismatic value in this condition......and not likely to gain any after cleaning. I'd do whatever you think will make it look better to YOU.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Agree with others, nothing lost in cleaning this one. It's a common date and in the condition it's in, probably worth less than a buck.

As for the method of cleaning, that's another story altogether...if you ask or search online you'll see about a hundred different suggestions, but it's never really going to look like an undug nickel.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would clean it. The most damaging corrosion occurs when chlorides and moisture come into contact with a coin, and chlorides are unfortunately quite common in the ground. The copper and chlorides react to form cuprous chloride, which causes progressive corrosion in the presence of moisture. It leaves the surface with patches of pale green, powdery material. This is commonly referred to as bronze disease and must be taken care of by removing the chlorides before the whole coin eventually disintegrates.

SS

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not bother with cleaning, but that's just a personal choice. As others have pointed out, it's not worth big bucks anyway, so cleaning won't add anything to its numismatic value.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whatcha gonna do?

I think im gonna just throw in it the tumbler....My buddy just did this with all his Buffalos, and they came out look a hellva lot better..its just hard to see ANYTHING because of the darkness

thanks ya'll!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Diggin-N-Dumps:

I'm pretty much in the anti-cleaning camp. I think a land-found coin should look like one (so should a shipwreck coin, but that's another story).

Now, Silver Searcher is an expert and I'm not. He raises a good point about removing corrosion that will eventually eat a coin up. Can that be (with care) brushed off?

If you do clean it, please post a photo of the result.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread