Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do. The oil permeates all things porous more so than water and soap will. For some reason, the hardest of stuck crust wipes away with a few applications.

Although, I just save my findings. Never deposited any of it. Some coins are not worth cleaning. I found a bunch of zinc pennies that were just trashed and unreadable. Heck with cleaning something that no longer has a face or date. LOL.

I hear ya. I have a bag full of mangled Clad and Zinc pennies. I just tumble mine to take to the bank. I was goign to keep it all, but 300 bucks a year in clad is too temtping to be sitting in the corner..lol.

Someone told me that you can take the manlged coins and Zincs to the mint...Not sure how accurate that is or what "Fees" would apply

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey joe, Just to be clear, I was ONLY talking about Clad and coppers pennies...Of course I wouldnt toast a older or anything.

The way I look at it....the state these coins are in is so poor they arent worth anything. I dont know the Country/denomination/metal type etc. I'm putting them for an hour at a time, slowly trying to see if I can recognize them. So far alot of them are common wheaties, lincolns, a few clad nickels and quarters, and a few foreigns I have yet to identify. Im not tumbling them until they are polished, I am tumbling until they are recognizable as coins.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I didnt relize how many people collect there Modern Clad here....Cuddos to ya'll....I tumble Mine, dont give a shii what it looks like..drop it at the bank...Get it deposited in my account....Done Deal
Its not like im tumbling my finds or good coins.

Seems like some people tend to overthink the process of removing dirt from a coin to deposit to the bank
I agree, I only tumble the ones that might jam a coin counter. The rest go as-is. I'm not going to waste money on cleaning clad. Now if you're going to spend them individually, you're going to want to clean them up a bit so the clerk doesn't look at you funny or reject them because they can't tell what coin it is.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting link. Looks to me like it would cost more to ship them than what you'd get back in a check. Did you notice the line that said they won't redeem any underweight coin? I wonder what their definition is of that? Every coin in circulation is underweight by some amount. Zinc cents will underweight by a lot! What about coins clipped by a lawn mower? Or holed for a pendant? Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does everybody feel about cleaning coins with that ez-clean coin cleaner liquid? I've tested it on a few clad and they come out looking pretty nice..would this take any value away from a valuable coin?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with not wasting too much time on Clad Coins, Zinc Cents and any coin that you can determine the Country of origin (it would be best if they are U.S. coins if taking them to a Bank in the U.S.) and denomination and know that they aren't worth much. If these will go in a roll or go through a CoinStar, then just cash them in and walk away. Now, if the coins are Silver and/or there are some (i.e. Copper) that you feel could be worth something if the black and brown crusting and/or green verdigris is removed, then with these you should at least attempt to clean them as best you can without doing significant damage or any damage to them. I would recommend soaking all of the coins in Acetone for a few days, stirriing them around in the Acetone a couple or more times a day, remove then soak them in a light dishwashing soap and water mixture, rinse and let dry. Most likely, a lot of the green verdigris and some crustation will be removed from many of the coins. This will allow you to determine if any need to be culled aout and taken to the Bank or if any deserve a better cleaning. Once you pull out the coins that you feel deserve a better cleaning, I would then soak them in Mineral Oil, Baby Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a couple of weeks. Once removed from this, a lot of the remaining crustation should come off with a light rubbing of your' fingers. For tougher crustation on Copper coins, you can use a green Rose Thorn to scrape most if not all of the crustation away. Warning: Do not use a green Rose Thorn on Silver coins. While green Rose Thorns will remove crusting on Copper coins without any scratching or damage to the Copper, the details or fields, they will scratch and damage Silver coins!

Frank

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i find coins that are unidentifiable with corrosion, I put a little lemon juice mixed with water. about half and half, mabey a little more lemon juice depending.But do not leave them alone to soak!Stay with them with a toothbrush,and scrub till desired affect.It Should not take to long.This method also brings out any gilt that might be left on a button. But again DO NOT leave alone to soak! To much can eat into the metal itself.then give final cleaning with water to get all the lemon juice off.good luck

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First rule of cleaning coins....find out what you are cleaning, and it's worth.

SS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First rule of cleaning coins....find out what you are cleaning, and it's worth.

SS

How are you supposed to tell what something is and what its worth if it is so encrusted you arent even 100% sure its a coin at all? Did you read any of the posts?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you supposed to tell what something is and what its worth if it is so encrusted you arent even 100% sure its a coin at all? Did you read any of the posts?
Yes I read the above posts, and I have cleaned more coins than you have seen, and a lot older and crudier than you will ever come across. Coins that heve been in the ground for over a 1000+ years.

SS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I read the above posts, and I have cleaned more coins than you have seen, and a lot older and crudier than you will ever come across. Coins that heve been in the ground for over a 1000+ years.

SS

Good for you. I'm sure your house is bigger than mine, you got more money in the bank, and your dog is smarter than mine too. Congrats on starting a grammar school argument, and totally side-stepping the question.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side stepping the question, you start a thread asking for advice about cleaning coins, and don't show any pictures of what needs cleaning. My house isn't probably bigger, and I haven't got more money than you....but I definitely have got more brains.

SS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The extra intelligence hardly makes up for your lack of class and maturity. You just made it to my ignore list.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said further up topic I already cleaned the first batch.....common wheats, clad, and a few foreigns. I cant give photos of the before when we are already at the after! I got a ton more that will need identifying, ill make sure I post photos so people can tell me what they think they are.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver searcher - im done if you are....

:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread