Cleaned perhaps?

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Guys, I have a question about a coin that I just bought on eBay. I finally got a nice 1932 D quarter for my collection. The only strange thing about it is that when I compare it to other quarters in my collection, it has a light gun metal tint to it. What could have caused it? Cleaning perhaps? I just want to make sure that I made a good purchase. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• coin.png
    coin.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 155

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it still have the cartwheel effect if you tilt it back and forth in the light? Any small scratches when viewed with a 10x loupe?

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything checked out. It passed the cartwheel test and no scratches. I guess it's just a funky colored coin! :) Thanks!

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks AU-ish... expensive coin to buy raw... you sure it's real? Can we get a pic of the reverse? Larger if possible.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on what you paid for it I would send off to PCGS

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no Expert

But I am trying to learn.

I saw no reverse pictures on the orig, E-bay listing :icon_scratch:
Were there any?
Can you take one please?

IMO It would seem if anyone had that coin for any amount of time & in that Cond,
They at some time would have had it graded.

I may be paranoid but I would be wary of buying such a coin (sight unseen ) even if it were graded.
(But I was once featured on Lifestyles of the Po-& Broke)
$400.00 I hope it's the real deal .
As said Just my opinion.
Davers:thumbsup:

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the reverse. There was one in the listing. I am still marveling at the strike quality of that coin. It is very beautiful. The gun metal colour is toning and is a good sign that it had not been cleaned.

inkFrog.

But for that price, I would be wary and have it authenticated. If it is real, then you got a steal. If not, then you got ripped off. The seller seems to be a legitimate seller that sells at wholesale. If I had the money, I see many things that I would buy from him. I think you got a good coin at a great price!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw no reverse pictures on the orig, E-bay listing
Were there any?
Can you take one please?

There are 12 pictures on the original listing on ebay. 7 of the front and 5 of the back.. you need to scroll down to see the second 6 picture. click on the down arrow to the right of the first six pictures

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gor the great advice! It is a beautiful coin indeed. One of the reasons I went ahead and purchased the coin was because of the seller's 100% feedback. He does have some great deals. Very prompt in responding to my questions too. I bought the coin to fill a spot in my quarter book. So far all of my quarters in the book are uncirculated except for the 32 s, 34 d, 35 d, and 36 d. Those are a little on the expensive side! Curoisity is getting the best of me, though. I'm think I'm going to go ahead and submit it PCGS or NGC and see how it grades out. Hopefully it's the real deal. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the reverse. There was one in the listing. I am still marveling at the strike quality of that coin. It is very beautiful. The gun metal colour is toning and is a good sign that it had not been cleaned.

It has been my experience that sometimes the gun metal color on some Silver coins can indicate a very old dipping of the coin. When this is done, any further natural toning is delayed and somewhat prohibited.

But for that price, I would be wary and have it authenticated. If it is real, then you got a steal. If not, then you got ripped off. The seller seems to be a legitimate seller that sells at wholesale. If I had the money, I see many things that I would buy from him. I think you got a good coin at a great price!

I agree and for that price, it would be wise and a great investment choice to have the coin authenticated and graded! However, I fear that if the Graders deem it to have been dipped, then it is going to be difficult to get a grade without notations of the old dipping or cleaning and other attributions that can harm the value (i.e. UNC Details, Improperly Cleaned) as in the one at the link below.

1932 D Washington Quarter Dollar Silver Coin NCS UNC Details SQU149 | eBay

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to send it ASAP to see what they say. If it comes back as cleaned or dipped, I won't be too disappointed. It looks really good in the book with my other quarters, which is the main reason that I bought. It would be awesome if it came back as an MS 65 though! :icon_thumleft:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The eBay Seller of the O.P.'s coin, does have a nice set of what appears to be consecutive Serial Numbered 2004 $10 Bill Star Notes and a small set of 2003 $5 Bill Star Notes. However, I do feel that they may be a little over priced, especially for someone who wants to pick up the whole set! I am still viewing this Seller's items and if anything else stands out, I will report it/them.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This Seller also has a nice Unc raw 1921-D Morgan Silver Dollar which appears to be an Early Die Stage/State of the VAM-1F or other similar VAM. However, if Cherrypicking Morgan VAM's, I would not want to pay that price for it.

I just thought I would throw these finds in for those interested but I won't hijack the O.P.'s Thread any further.

Frank

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind if you do! He has some cool stuff! Just out of curiosity, what does VAM stand for?

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here are the results. I kind of expected it though. It's still really nice! I wonder what that puts its value at? Does anyone have an idea?

Attachments

• image-2195360029.jpg
    image-2195360029.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread