Bi-Cen Kennedy question

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, i normaly post in the CRHing forum, but i think this is where i am suppose to ask these question...

i recently found a 1776-1976 (clad) kennedy halve dollar, it was a D mint mark, but it has the shine of a proof, that sort of cameo look too it, it has a pretty wide rim. it just doesnt seem like your normal half.. i know a picture would be allot more help, but i cant get one. didnt know if there was a easy explanation, is it just deseiving me? thank you

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Sold out...gone fishing...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, i normaly post in the CRHing forum, but i think this is where i am suppose to ask these question...

i recently found a 1776-1976 (clad) kennedy halve dollar, it was a D mint mark, but it has the shine of a proof, that sort of cameo look too it, it has a pretty wide rim. it just doesnt seem like your normal half.. i know a picture would be allot more help, but i cant get one. didnt know if there was a easy explanation, is it just deseiving me? thank you

On a proof coin of that vintage, Kennedy's bust will be frosted in appearance with the surrounding areas polished to a mirror finish.

Lots of the clad proof coins are being broken apart in today's economy because the aren't worth anything beyond face value. I have quite a few clad proof sets that I inherited from my fathers collection and can't sell except for face value. Many of the sets are valued at less than issue price...the collector value has collapsed on a lot of that stuff. Surprisingly even the silver coins are only getting scrap value offers regardless of condition. The only exception are a few key coins. I'm just sitting on mine hoping the market comes back in my lifetime.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As previously stated, a Proof Kennedy Half Dollar will have mirrored fields and frosted images/details, Date and Lettering and if it does not, then it is not a Proof coin. Now some non-proof coins have been struck with Proof Dies that had to be used to finish out a production run and although the coins struck with these Dies can have somewhat mirrored fields, they will not have frosted images/details, Date and Lettering. However, I do not know of any Proof Dies being used by the Denver Mint to produce the Bi-Centennial Half Dollars. There is a good chance that your' coin was struck with Dies that came out really exceptional when they were produced and polished as many Denver minted coins are known to have a much higher finish on them than most coins struck at the Philadelphia Mint and sometimes can be confused with Proof coins.

Frank

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As previously stated, a Proof Kennedy Half Dollar will have mirrored fields and frosted images/details, Date and Lettering and if it does not, then it is not a Proof coin. Now some non-proof coins have been struck with Proof Dies that had to be used to finish out a production run and although the coins struck with these Dies can have somewhat mirrored fields, they will not have frosted images/details, Date and Lettering. However, I do not know of any Proof Dies being used by the Denver Mint to produce the Bi-Centennial Half Dollars. There is a good chance that your' coin was struck with Dies that came out really exceptional when they were produced and polished as many Denver minted coins are known to have a much higher finish on them than most coins struck at the Philadelphia Mint and sometimes can be confused with Proof coins.

Frank

that would make sense, i am going to try to compare it to some other bi-cen in good shape, it just caught my eye, just in real good shape i guess, thank you, and everyone else.. by the way huntsman, those are some good looking fish!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread