Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at some of my late grandmothers early penny (Indians and wheats) and silver coins that were stored in these brown 3 ring binder books that had PVC pages with the year and mint marks marked accordingly for each coin - anyway, I took one out and noticed there's a slimy residue on all of the coins - any "safe" way of removing this residue? Safe meaning if it was to be graded it would not be graded as "cleaned" - Thanks.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone. The pure stuff, not Nail Polish Remover... found at Lowes / Home Depot in the paint supplies aisle. Soak the coins for a short while, then rinse with water and dab dry. However, do know that almost any cleaning method, even something as simple as running a water faucet over the coins, has a potential to be flagged as 'improper cleaning' by the big grading companies. Also note that while Acetone is not harmful to the coin, it MAY remove some of the 'patina', if that patina is organic in nature (aka not natural). I'd also wait til someone else chimes in to get a better idea of what the options are.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I would do too. It may be that the "residue" is a preservative. After an acetone bath, I like to coat copper with Coin Care to keep any corrosion from starting. It's a silicone based liquid.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys - I will try it........these are old books, after looking up these old PVC pages / books I guess the residue is actually chlorine from the PVC reacting with the metal in the coins - green in color. Acetone bath was also recommended as well - Thanks again.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The acetone will not remove any patina from any coin.

Acetone soak and very light "rolling" of an acetone soaked Q-tip on the surface of the coin should lift off most PVC. This is probably the best method for properly cleaning any coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread