1821 Caracas 2 Reales

Aleisters

Jul 8, 2012
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this coin in an old tool box while cleaning out my fathers barn. I've tried to research it online but got easily confused with a few different coins that looked similar. The barn was built in the mid-late 1800's and had been a blacksmith shop at one time and has been a real treasure hunt over the last few months: old fishing lures, morgan dollars, old black smith tools etc. I have a few questions: does it look real? I believe it is real but I know nothing about foreign coins. Is there any value or just scrap silver? What would be the correct search name for the coin>? I tried Caracas 2 1821 and got confused by similar looking coins. The images were taken with a scanner so the color is a little off. Thanks for any help.
iuhiu.jpg iuhiu1.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears to be real. The coin has additional collectible value other than the value of the Silver that it contains. Although it is in a little less condition than the one at the 1st link below, since your' coin is not holed, then I believe that it would be as or more collectible and valued similar or higher than the coin that sold on eBay. Also check out the others at the 2nd link below and although you will have to wade through some unrelated items and other 2 Reale pieces of different dates, you will get an idea of the value of your' coin. I also included a link (3rd) to values that NGC have place on these scarce to rare coins. Nice barn find and congrats!

Venezuela Caracas Silver 2 Reales Morilleros 1821 Holed But Nice Details R | eBay

venezuela 2 reale | eBay

1817-1821 Venezuela CARACAS 2 Reales, Morilleros C 6.2 Prices & Values

Frank

OP
OP
Aleisters

Aleisters

Jul 8, 2012
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the links! I almost missed this coin and then when I noticed it I almost tossed it in the scrap box with a couple worn date Morgans an Mercs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread