Purchased Some New Large Cents (Variety Question???)

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased some new large cents recently and a am very happy with my finds. I have gotten more interested in the varieties and have been focusing more attention on cherrypicking RPD and RPM coins more often. Below are the three large cents I acquired.

The 1920 was easily identified as the 20/19 variety which is even listed in the red book.

After some research I was able to come up with that the 1846 is the N-4 variety. Beautiful RPD

However, I have yet to be able to identify the 1848. I have tried to point out the RPD the best possible and filled in the raised portions on the second photo. The picture does not do it justice as the digits are much more bold when you see the coin in person. there is a clear re-punch of the 1 and 4 with a possibility of the 8 to the left. If anyone has any luck in coming up with what variety this one is it would be appreciated.

And does anyone know of a good website to access Newcomb and Sheldon variety pictures. I have only found bits and pieces on several websites. It would be nice if it were all in one place. Thanks. Hope yall enjoy the pics.

L.01-003_Markup_2.jpg L.01-001.jpg L.01-002.jpg L.01-003_Markup.jpg

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the Large Cents! I've been collecting these exclusively for about 5 years now. I've dabbled in other denominations, but I find myself most fascinated by the early Largies. I've been mainly concentrating on the earlier dates (Draped Bust and earlier).

I use two main sites for information, and purchasing my Large Cents. They are as follows:

- Large Cents -> Tom Deck (The owner of the site) is a great guy. He has an amazing personal collection (displayed on the site), as well as incredible coins for sale as well. He is also an extremely helpful guy. I've contacted him directly several times over the years with questions on coins, and his prompt response was always informative. I'd highly recommend him.

- The Pre Long Beach Sale - Session 1 - Page 1 of 12 - Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins & Collectibles - iCollector.com Online Auctions -> I love this site... It's an old auction, however, it has nearly EVERY variety (Even the non-collectable) large cent, with great high resolution pictures to boot. I've slowly tried to save the pictures from this site to make my own local copy for quick reference. Sure is a lot of coins!

I hope this helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions