A 1990P Nickel Error Found While Coin Roll Hunting!!!

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014

I do apologise for part of the screen getting cut off!!! Is this an error? There are pictures in the video of the coin. I have done this because I know some of you don't like my videos because they don't show good images of the coins. So I have pictures in my videos now! Thank You any comments would be great!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is so much harder to see in a video than a good clear picture. It appears to be just slightly off center, but not sure if that is what you are seeing or not.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah it seems to be a little bigger on the edge near the top right and short on the bottom left so yes I see it that way

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, that is it then. If both sides are off it is off center, if only one then it is misaligned dies.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I'm debating if it is one or two. The reverse seems to be but not as much is the front. If this was a miss strike or die alignment what would it be worth?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Five cents, such a small amount would not add to the value. It is only if it is off enough that the design is affected that it may have some added value. One thing many new collectors have a hard time grasping is that at least 99 percent of errors have no added value. It is the more dramatic stuff that is valuable. In fact if someone was looking for a certain coin in high grade, a slightly offcenter strike would be considered a flaw and be less desirable. Keep looking and studying coins though, that is how we learn!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Wow thank you for the information like I said before this hobby should not be about value, but about the love for the coins!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the coin is slightly Off-Center on the Obverse and possibly just Mis-aligned on the Reverse. While both are coin Minting errors, they are so slight, that they add no value to the coin beyond Face Value. Coins generally begin to gain value when the Off-Center Strike Error or MAD (Mis-Aligned Die Error) is 10% or more from a normal coin and go up in value the higher the percentage. However, the most valuable one's are the errors that exceed 65% and especially those that retain a readable Date.

Frank

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yes I have heard that the ones that are really off and keep there dates are a little more valuable! Thanks Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread