Question on 1982 cents ???

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Been copper hoarding for 3-years now. Have been putting the 1982 on the side separately to divide between the copper & zinc ones later on. Well i think its time. Other than using a Ryedale copper sorter, or a gram scale, does anyone have a sure-proof quick method to separate the two ( copper vs zinc ) ? I want to get my 12-grandkids collection penny folders moving soon, since there are large & small dates P & D's to contend with, within the 1982 date.

takeonestepback

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper pennies weigh 3.11 grams, whereas the zinc pennies weigh only 2.5 grams. Be sure to use a scale that is accurate enough to detect the tenth of a gram (0.10) or better or it can register the zinc pennies at 3 grams.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Been copper hoarding for 3-years now. Have been putting the 1982 on the side separately to divide between the copper & zinc ones later on. Well i think its time. Other than using a Ryedale copper sorter, or a gram scale, does anyone have a sure-proof quick method to separate the two ( copper vs zinc ) ? I want to get my 12-grandkids collection penny folders moving soon, since there are large & small dates P & D's to contend with, within the 1982 date.

Best option I think is to order a 1982 mint set. Can get one for a couple of bucks on the bay.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a metal detector with VDI it shouldn't be a problem to use it to tell the difference between the coppers and zincs. Just set your machine up where you can pass the coins past the coil.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a metal detector with VDI it shouldn't be a problem to use it to tell the difference between the coppers and zincs. Just set your machine up where you can pass the coins past the coil.

That is a great thought and idea! I just use my Jeweler's Weighing Scale.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way i do it too. Pretty quick and easy. I find it a bit faster than using a scale.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just flip them in the air when I get to an 82 cent, or drop it on the ground, its pretty obvious when you do that. It either Pings for Copper or thuds for Zinc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread