Indian Head Penny, Best Shape Ive Ever Seen Personally

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Viewing the 2nd photo I would bet that it is a dug coin based on the pitting and the dark color. If that guy is offering you $60 take it and run. Then go buy this coin: 1900 Indian Cent NGC MS63 BN | eBay. MUCH nicer if you ask my opinion. Personally I would tell your cent its worth $5-10. Keep in mind it could just be a bad photograph too.

Well it's not pitted under a glass, just the way the photo looks. Glad you think that one is much nicer on ebay but i'm not out to buy a "nicer" one. I got this one basically free, doesn't get much nicer in my opinion. Even if you think it's only worth $5, that would be $4.99 more than what I paid for it.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's not pitted under a glass, just the way the photo looks. Glad you think that one is much nicer on ebay but i'm not out to buy a "nicer" one. I got this one basically free, doesn't get much nicer in my opinion. Even if you think it's only worth $5, that would be $4.99 more than what I paid for it.

I'm looking at this from a dollars and cents perspective so if my post offended you in some way I assure you it wasn't personal. If the "coin expert" you took it to said he would give you $60 for it, in my opinion you would be crazy not to take it. Like I said you could take the $60 and buy an uncirculated, certified, problem free example. Either way you have 1 cent invested in it. Personally there isn't a coin in my collection that I wouldn't sell if the someone was willing to overpay for it.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "chocolate brown" that collectors are fond of is actually a much lighter color. You have a beautiful coin there, but there does appear to be something going on with the surfaces. Could be some kind of environmental damage or corrosion, looks like some of it chipped off on the obverse rim on the left. While monetary value may not be that high it is a great piece of history.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "chocolate brown" that collectors are fond of is actually a much lighter color. You have a beautiful coin there, but there does appear to be something going on with the surfaces. Could be some kind of environmental damage or corrosion, looks like some of it chipped off on the obverse rim on the left. While monetary value may not be that high it is a great piece of history.
Yup, think milk chocolate, not dark chocolate.....mmmm.....chocolate.......BRB.....

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
I'm looking at this from a dollars and cents perspective so if my post offended you in some way I assure you it wasn't personal. If the "coin expert" you took it to said he would give you $60 for it, in my opinion you would be crazy not to take it. Like I said you could take the $60 and buy an uncirculated, certified, problem free example. Either way you have 1 cent invested in it. Personally there isn't a coin in my collection that I wouldn't sell if the someone was willing to overpay for it.

Nope, wasn't offended, just didn't see your reasoning at first due to the way it came across but I do understand what you're saying now. Well, not sure he's a coin "expert" but he's licensed if nothing else. I actually had two others look at it, coin dealers, since then and they agreed it would bring around 60 bucks give or take depending who wanted it bad enough. I didn't expect it to be worth more than a couple of bucks to begin with and really, I'm just putting it away. Even if I got $100 for it, that hundred would be gone easily enough as to where If I keep the penny, at least I have it. But yeah either way, nah not offended.

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010

Yeah, it's in the actual color guide and red is much more sought after but it's around a medium and it did coincide with the dealers' assessment that it would be about 60 bucks. And it didn't actually chip, there are two very small dings but I can see where it would look like it in the picture. And you said it best, great piece of history, plus I've learned a lot about IHPs that I didn't know before.

Thanks!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Graded pennies are given a color: RD = Red, RB = Red Brown, BN = Brown. Red is worth more than RB which is worth more than BN and the condition means more than the color.

For comparison, I recently bought a PCGS slabbed 1882 IHP in MS63BN for $65.
The 1882 had a mintage of 38.5 million.
The 1900 had a mintage of 66.8 million.
Hope any of this helps.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be in the $6 to 10 range without seeing better pics.

IMO
$6-13 Retail, ( being that Color).
$4-5 if you sold it to a Coin Store.
I would Def, Keep it for the future.
It is lookin Good.
A rare find in Circulation. They just minted almost 67,000,000 Cents that year.
I got quite a Few of Her 1900 Sisters , but none look that Good. ( the color looks like my Peroxide Cleaned IH's)
As I said Def, a Keeper.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The color looks to me to be from a dug coin that has been boiled in peroxide to help bring out more detail. Boiling in peroxide will turn copper coins a dark brown. Dug coins are considered to have environmental damage and will grade at least one grade lower than the details show.

Yep.
I only read the first 4 posts before commenting, but like I said it looks like my dug 'Peroxide ' treated Indian Cents .
Like I said before "it look's good to me " esp, if it was Dug.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, wasn't offended, just didn't see your reasoning at first due to the way it came across but I do understand what you're saying now. Well, not sure he's a coin "expert" but he's licensed if nothing else. I actually had two others look at it, coin dealers, since then and they agreed it would bring around 60 bucks give or take depending who wanted it bad enough. I didn't expect it to be worth more than a couple of bucks to begin with and really, I'm just putting it away. Even if I got $100 for it, that hundred would be gone easily enough as to where If I keep the penny, at least I have it. But yeah either way, nah not offended.

Does sound crazy 'not to take the $ for it' BUT I feel the same way about my Dug or found Coins/ Relics.
I may sell only if I have Doubles of Triples of that same Item, but the same does Not go for CW Bullets.
Maybe when I get Older. & Start keeping more or Most of my Treasures In Heaven.

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Does sound crazy 'not to take the $ for it

Not really. I'm holding onto it and giving it to my son. I could take 60 bucks now for it or maybe it'll be worth much more by the time it gets passed down, either way they'll have it. If I gave him 60 bucks, I doubt it would get held onto or passed down.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love IHPs! Have a box full. Some good, some average. But hey, yours was free! I bought alot of mine.
As mentioned earlier, 1900 IHPs had a mintage of 66,831,502 according to The Red Book. Also, a mint state coin is valued at $38. Yours is not MS.
Full liberty is wonderful, but IHP collectors are normally more concerned with "diamonds".
Still, it's a keeper.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Just and update. I had major a coin collector from Wisconsin interested in the penny, who did a lot more inspection of it than the local antique dealer and checked all the marks, outer coloring, (which wasn't from being a dug coin), it was something else that someone put on it or what they had it in (I don't recall what he called it) but it was easily removed (which he did himself) and was a reddish brown underneath. It had one little ding in it which dropped the value. He ended up giving me $ 125.00 for it which I did take. If not for the ding, he said it would have been and easy $500 penny with the detail in it. (Stupid ding) :BangHead:

Thanks for all the replies.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you got that much he ripped himself off! No way that coin is worth that much. You did good and can't be blamed for him paying too much, that's his fault for not knowing the true value!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, could have gotten a much nicer coin for half that. Oh well his loss is your gain!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to believe! Where are these big spenders when I want to sell some coins? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Well I can tell you this, he's one of Wisconsin's largest coin collectors, I think he knows what he's talking about. He was able to physically see the coin as to where yous weren't. I have to say, in all my time visiting this site, I haven't once felt like there is some hate group going but wow. Seems like some bruised egos maybe? Either way, he didn't rip himself off, this guy knows what he's doing and was one of the most recommended coin and antique collectors there were in my surrounding states and I doubt he's rich off of not knowing what he's doing. Either way, I don't want to reply to this thread any longer, if moderator could lock it it would be appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread