Silver shortage?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anybody read about this lately? I mean it has come up I think just this past week. The US mint is not making anymore Silver Eagles until August. Premiums are at a 2008 level...

So does this mean that all the silver I paid $40, $30, and $25, I might actually break even? Or just another story before it drops lower? I know that no one really knows the answer, but do you buy that? There's less physical available right now? And do you buy more right now or stay away and wait for lower? And is it possible that there's a shortage or just another story on a slow day?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The U.S. Mint sometimes does this when the precious metals market is unstable and/or the price of Silver or Gold drops to or below the price they paid for the metals used in American Silver and/or Gold Eagle production. I believe there have also been times when they shut production down due to the price of the precious metals and their costs for it exceeding what was budgeted to meet production quotas. The U.S. Treasury Department may also have a hand in certain situations but most likely this is a U.S. Mint decision and a stop-gap to keep from losing money.

Frank

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if the spot price falls, at this point, the premium spread will make up the difference. Folks are holding tight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread