May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Found something interesting in my change the other day.

I always check my coins I get in change and noticed that the quarter was unusually shiny. Looking closer I see that it's a (former) Proof 2002-S Tennessee state quarter. My first thought was, "who the heck would spend Proof coins?"

Then I got to thinking about value. An uncirculated 2002-S non-proof is about $1.50 while a proof coin is about $11.00, but given that this is a circulated Proof... Any ideas on value?

And, yes, I already stuck it in a cardboard flip to preserve it.

Thanks.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Value is a hard thing. The first question would be how much eye does it have? Does it look damaged? Does it look worn?

In the end, value is what you can sell it for. I would guess $3 or $4. Could be less.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. It looks fairly clean and still somewhat sharp, only very light wear, so it wasn't in circulation for long.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Then I got to thinking about value. An uncirculated 2002-S non-proof is about $1.50 while a proof coin is about $11.00, but given that this is a circulated Proof... Any ideas on value?

What's an uncirculated 2002-S non-proof?

I would say you'd be lucky to get 50 cents for it. Silver proof on the other hand, $4 or $5 maybe since it's circulated.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's an Uncirculated business strike.

They didn't make an S minted business strike 2002 quarter.

The Mint started making BU business strike quarters with an S mint mark on them when the America the Beautiful quarters started coming out (2012 was the first year).

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
They didn't make an S minted business strike 2002 quarter.

The Mint started making BU business strike quarters with an S mint mark on them when the America the Beautiful quarters started coming out (2012 was the first year).

My price book (Blackbook) shows 2 values for the 2002-S: Uncirculated and Proof. Maybe the Uncirculated coin is not a business strike, but it certainly isn't a Proof either. In either case, what I have is a proof that was thrown into circulation.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
2014 copy of Redbook lists 4 2002 Tennessee state quarters:

2002-P
2002-D
2002-S (Clad proof)
2002-S (Silver proof)

The clad proof lists for $3 in PF-65 condition.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
2014 copy of Redbook lists 4 2002 Tennessee state quarters:

2002-P
2002-D
2002-S (Clad proof)
2002-S (Silver proof)

The clad proof lists for $3 in PF-65 condition.

I'm surprised the 2 books vary so much. Maybe Blackbook is referring to the Clad Roof as "Uncirculated" and the Silver Proof as "Proof". Given everything, I'll go with Redbook over Blackbook anyway. I know it's not a silver Proof so we'll consider it a Clad Proof.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put them in circulation for you. Have a bunch of the 1980s and 90s sets. Break them and spend them. They are worth like what? $3 a set maybe $4. LCS doesn't even want them.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my GF brought a coin home and said "why is this quarter like this ...is it special?"
It was a silver frosted proof - she got back in change from gas station - told her to rush back and see if there were more
some other guy had bought rest up - was a roll of them ..station got them from the bank --how the mint ever let a
bunch get put in a roll and sent out ???- these weren't just proof they were silver proofs that are supposed to go into proof sets

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my GF brought a coin home and said "why is this quarter like this ...is it special?"
It was a silver frosted proof - she got back in change from gas station - told her to rush back and see if there were more
some other guy had bought rest up - was a roll of them ..station got them from the bank --how the mint ever let a
bunch get put in a roll and sent out ???- these weren't just proof they were silver proofs that are supposed to go into proof sets

They weren't sent by the mint by accident. Some collector or thief did it.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence why I have never purchased a red book in my life.....the info in those books is obsolete before the book is even printed. $11 for a proof quarter?? You can buy the entire box of all 5 state proof quarters for less than $3 plus shipping. Check ebay sold listing - that is real world pricing.

I personally would have thrown it back. If you feel adventurous you could try selling it on ebay, a 2003 circulated proof quarter recently sold for $1.65 with free shipping....so after 10% ebay fees, 2.9% paypal fees plus 30 cent transaction fee, the cost of envelope/stamp (60 cents), cost of cardboard flip (4 cents), and the value of the quarter (25 cents), you would stand to earn a profit of about 25 cents. That's not including any potential listing fees, gas, or additional packaging materials.

probably why I could only find 1 recent transaction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread