why arent indian heads and wheat pennies worth anything?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Besides the fact of being either Copper or Zinc, there is also the large date & small dates to contend with. Both the copper & zinc have both varieties, and also within the P & D mint marks. According to the RED BOOK, there are, I believe, seven different coins in the 1982 production.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i listed 40 Indian heads on ebay a few weeks ago. i got 20 dollars for them.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have given you more than that for them Petec! I seem to have misplaced my little collection of dug Indians and buff's during the last 3 moves in 18 months. Dunno

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A GOLD AND SILVER SHOP NEAR MY HOUSE WILL ONLY PAY 56 CENTS FOR A ROLL OF 50 WHEAT CENTS. NOT MUCH PROFIT!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A GOLD AND SILVER SHOP NEAR MY HOUSE WILL ONLY PAY 56 CENTS FOR A ROLL OF 50 WHEAT CENTS. NOT MUCH PROFIT!

Well you are selling wheaties in bulk to a B&M store that isn't even a proper coin dealer. What did you expect?

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fletch none of these where dug coins. i was really hoping they would have done better. and where im not a charter member im not supposed to offer things for sale on this site

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I used to save 1982 and older but now I just save wheat pennies and older. It's just easier to do it that way for me.

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all u got to do is flick the 82 penny an listen for the copper ringggggg

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a penny is worth $1.00 that is 99x more than the face value, what else goes up in face value like that? Not much...

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Coins are worth what others are willing to pay period. The red book is highly subjective. You also have to realize like with everything else what it is worth as a buyer or a seller. For example. I just bought a Chevy Avalanche. I spent weeks looking for one. A lot of dealers said they were rare and hard to get. They were worth a premium price because there wasn't many for sale. I found the one I wanted and bought it.

Now if I was going to sell it, I am POSITIVE I would be told there is not much demand for them and it isn't worth much.

When I found my 1893CC eagle, I was told by two coin shops it was worth scrap value. One went as far as to say it wasn't a coin anymore because it was in bad shape. LOL. I held off selling it. Nobody could tell me a coin that had only 14,000 minted was that bad! I sold it a few years ago on Ebay and was very happy with the price. Kind of wished I could have kept it though.

If you are selling a coin, they will try to get it for as low as possible. If you are a buyer. it will be in great shape and a hard one to find so they can maximize their profits. This is not just with coins though. This has to do with everything in life. We just see it more because it is our hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread