why arent indian heads and wheat pennies worth anything?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going through a jar of old coins I inherited. I figured they would have some value. When I look them up on the internet they seam to only sell for a couple bucks each. Are 1800's coins really so common? Granted I occasionally see the same coin listed for $1500 in on place and $1.50 in another, but I figure that's more like laundering than actual value. Like the wrecked ford pinto for $5800 in the clasifieds.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Mr. Ragnor...My humble opinion on low value of the cents you speak of is the mintage numbers and average conditions. Hundreds of millions of most dates exist, and most of those are badly worn. If the mintage is high than it is the rarity of a coin in perfect condition that becomes the valuable one. Silver and gold coins can come out of the ground in mint condition and retain their high values but copper deteriorates more and the value suffers.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reality sometimes suxx.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply supply and demand. It is a common misconception that coins are worth a lot of money just because they are old.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell without more information. You don't want that 1877 one, do you?

aj

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flee market vendors think they are worth a fortune but only when they are selling them.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love all the old stuff

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are seeing different values because different conditions decide value. You seem very new at this so I suggest you study, study, study about grading of coins. A coin that's not a key date in circulated condition just isn't going to have a high value. If they did you wouldn't find any wheaties in circulation. I can get 4 cent apiece for common wheaties at my monthly coin club auction. That's just the way it is.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they are all worth more than when they were lost

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't ever sell to a coin shop you go in not one customer no matter what u bring in its worth a couple bucks till they resell it

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out U.S. mint errors. Some are worth a lot, might be worth going through your coins again

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the rarer ones are worth a good bit since they are needed to "complete" a set --like the 1877 indain head cent ...what keeps down the value of most wheat and indain head cents are 3 fold ... first their copper based (not silver or gold) second their high mintage numbers ..so there is lots of them out there to be had still for the most part and third the general lack of demand --who do you know that collects cents ? often improperly called "pennies" ....because as a former british colony we used the English copper "penny" coins ..but American coins have been "cents" all along..

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen to collect cents and have a few wheats missing from my collection but I will diligently search until all are found......

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
the rarer ones are worth a good bit since they are needed to "complete" a set --like the 1877 indain head cent ...what keeps down the value of most wheat and indain head cents are 3 fold ... first their copper based (not silver or gold) second their high mintage numbers ..so there is lots of them out there to be had still for the most part and third the general lack of demand --who do you know that collects cents ? often improperly called "pennies" ....because as a former british colony we used the English copper "penny" coins ..but American coins have been "cents" all along..
Yep !

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
toss the 1982 and older pennies/cents into a bucket.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
toss the 1982 and older pennies/cents into a bucket.

Not ALL 1982 are copper, half are zinc. Therefore they need to be weighed or run thru a rydale sorter. I save all 1981 & priors in one group, and put all of 1982's in a separate bucket to be gram weighted later.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not ALL 1982 are copper, half are zinc. Therefore they need to be weighed or run thru a rydale sorter. I save all 1981 & priors in one group, and put all of 1982's in a separate bucket to be gram weighted later.

Saving copper memorial cents seems like a waste of time. But going through the trouble to sort out copper 82's is just...

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, sorting through copper '82s is not all that hard. You just have to know which ones to look for. For example, for all of the Lincoln cents you will notice that after 1982 the reverse and obverse get flatter, with less dimension and relief. Pretty much all of the copper cents will have raised busts that stand out more than the zincolns. Also, the dates on the copper cents are blockier (I know: improper English) and stand out more than the zinc cent dates, with which the numbers are thinner and the dates are a little larger. I am hoping that you all get what I am saying. It's all a case of studying coin books for years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread