Half Dollar Lamination Error

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went through a box of half dollars today and was skunked. I did find a lamination error though! It appears to be on the obverse and reverse which is interesting for me since all my nickel ones are just on one side.

I wonder if anyone could estimate what its worth?

View attachment 1299608 View attachment 1299610 View attachment 1299609 View attachment 1299612 View attachment 1299616 View attachment 1299620

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's peculiar for sure! It doesn't make sense for a lam error to be in the same place on both sides. I would suggest maybe emailing Mike Diamond the photos and see what he says. I'm kinda leaning towards this being a cracked planchette that was damaged before the strike.

OP
OP
S

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's peculiar for sure! It doesn't make sense for a lam error to be in the same place on both sides. I would suggest maybe emailing Mike Diamond the photos and see what he says. I'm kinda leaning towards this being a cracked planchette that was damaged before the strike.

Thanks Enamel!

by chance does anyone have Mike Diamond's email? And who he is? :dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do a Google search and it should show up. I'll look for it also.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's a columnist for coin world magazine. Go to their site and you should find his contact info.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Just the opinion of someone who has over 1500 errors in his collection, but that looks a lot like damage to me. If the professionals say different, so be it.

OP
OP
S

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted Mike Diamond with my pictures and he was not sure. At first he thought it was lamination error, clad splitting, PMD, but not sure. So I asked if I could send it to him to get a better examination of it because I didn't want to invest in a super fancy camera for one coin. After examining it this is what he said...

"I have your 1972 half dollar. It's a genuine error in all respects. A deep fissure cuts across Kennedy's face and appears on the opposite face. I've not seen a fissure exactly like it before. My suspicion is that it appeared before rolling of the strip was completed. On the reverse you find a lamination error of the reverse clad layer that involves the word OF."

I was extremely excited to find I had found a new error coin! He said it's hard to estimate the value of it but would guess between 50-75 dollars. Very pleased with it! I appreciate everyone's feedback and help!

Sean

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I'm happy to know I have learned enough to be on the same thought process as Mike. That man knows everything!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread