1818 Coin Counting Machine Find

KennyFLA

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I work at a store that has a coin counting machine similar to coin star. I am lucky enough that I can open up the machine and look at the bag of halves and see if there is any silver and buy whatever coins are in the bag. I usually wait a few months before checking it because not many half dollars are deposited. The other day I checked and almost closed the machine when I didn't see silver but I noticed that one of the coins was really dark so I moved it around to where I could see it and it was an 1818 large cent!

I bought the bag which was about $8 ($7.50 in clad Kennedys) so I paid .50 for it. It has some damage but seems to be in pretty good condition for its age. I guess someone had it in an old jar full of coins and dumped it. I thought about buying the rest of the bags in the machine, but decided not to because it was almost $2000 total and the other bags are changed pretty frequently. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures. Any ideas on what it would grade?

1818 LC.jpg
1818 LC Rev.jpg

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not expert but I would guess it would grade good 4...or damaged with good details. Because of the scratches or gouges on the obverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread