enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least one of the grading companies offers a conservation service for a fee. They can do the best job. Of course if slabbed it will probably come back with a grade and "environmental damage".

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone! Still haven't decided what to do with it. Contemplating selling it as I already have one in my collection. Thanks again.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the picture I don't think this is an authentic 1877 Indian cent....

Reason I say this is: The last feather on the Indian's headdress (going clockwise) should terminate between the "I" and "C" of "America", while yours seems to terminate between the "C" and the "A". This was a design change that happened in 1886 - hence, the 1886 Indian cents have a Type 1 and Type 2 varieties.

Compare this coin to the other 1877 Indian cent your collection, then compare with some googled 1877 Indian cents to see the difference...

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe you are right CZ! Thank you for pointing that out.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the picture I don't think this is an authentic 1877 Indian cent....

Reason I say this is: The last feather on the Indian's headdress (going clockwise) should terminate between the "I" and "C" of "America", while yours seems to terminate between the "C" and the "A". This was a design change that happened in 1886 - hence, the 1886 Indian cents have a Type 1 and Type 2 varieties.

Compare this coin to the other 1877 Indian cent your collection, then compare with some googled 1877 Indian cents to see the difference...
I am not so sure, I think the last feather my look distorted by a chunk of corrosion. Do you have a picture of the reverse? A genuine 1877 should have a weak N in one.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'd probabaly throw it in with the wheats and tumble it. I wish I had the opportunity to figure out what to do with a dug 1877.
Grats to ya and HH ALL

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you clean coins, only soak in warm water for 30 minutes, then dry with a clean soft cloth.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Any silver or copper cents I clean, I just add a few drops of DAWN LIQUID SOAP in a Rx bottle with hot water, shake every few hours for two days +/

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Any silver or copper cents I clean, I just add a few drops of DAWN LIQUID SOAP in a Rx bottle with hot water, shake every few hours for two days +/

Dawn soap, Fine. Shaking coins in a bottle... Are you TRYING to damage the coins, or just trying to upset us coin collectors in the crowd.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I'd use the "Scourgify" cleaning spell. Hermione used it once to clean out Hedwig's cage. It works great! And you don't have to worry about using obsolete Muggle methods, which will surely damage the surface, leading to net or details grade when you send it to the grading service. If you combine this with the "Reparo" spell, it may return it to its original mint state condition, possibly getting you an ms65rd grade from PCGS. Or, it might just turn it into a real Indian, in which case, I would be ready to cast an "Avada Kedavra" spell just in case!

I would not recommend this.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some recent Wheats and Indians I've found and tumbled....the trick is to use a medium that's tough to break off the crusty deposits but not hard enough to scratch the coin.... SAM_2592.JPG SAM_2596.JPG SAM_2590.JPG

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worthless common dates that's ok. Coin with value, no way Jose!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread