Flea market pickups in the UK

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the flea markets (car boot sales) in the UK most weekends. These are some of the finds from last weekend for your entertainment:
040916 PU 1.jpg
040916 PU 2.jpg
Vic set 1.jpg
Vic set 2.jpg
First two shots include the 1888 Britannia Groat, the Henry VI half groat from around 1422, and the Commonwealth half groat from around 1650.
Second two shots are of a run of Victorian Jubilee head silver coins - Crown, Half Crown, Florin and Shilling all in very nice condition. The crown is 1888, the rest 1887.
All British of course, although the 1888 Groat was issued for use in British Guinea.
I hope you enjoy!

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Great coins. I love the St. George and the Dragon scene so much that I ended up buying an 1821 crown on-line, just so that I could have one. I also bought a couple more coins with the scene just cause I like it.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! What do coins like that cost at a flea market/boot sale?

OP
OP
PaddyB

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! What do coins like that cost at a flea market/boot sale?

Not as cheap as you would expect! I ended up paying GBP 260 for the lot plus some "shrapnel" which included about 70 Victorian gaming tokens.

Over here there are few coin dealers with established premises (business rates and insurance are very high so few can afford it on the margins) so flea markets and antique fairs have become the main outlet for many.

I still think I got a reasonable deal.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
280 GBP is equal to about $376. One Victorian gaming token sold for about $4 on EBay, and a lot of about 40 sold for $47. I don't know the values on either of your older coins, but each of your Victorian coins grade at about VF+. The four pence has a retail value of about $40. The shilling has a retail value of about $22. The florin has a retail value of about $20. The 1/2 crown has a retail value of about $37.50. The crown has a retail value of about $75. All in all, you may have come up a little short, but I think you did well!

OP
OP
PaddyB

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
280 GBP is equal to about $376. One Victorian gaming token sold for about $4 on EBay, and a lot of about 40 sold for $47. I don't know the values on either of your older coins, but each of your Victorian coins grade at about VF+. The four pence has a retail value of about $40. The shilling has a retail value of about $22. The florin has a retail value of about $20. The 1/2 crown has a retail value of about $37.50. The crown has a retail value of about $75. All in all, you may have come up a little short, but I think you did well!

It is tight, but leaving out the two oldest coins is always going to skew your assessment. I put the Henry VI half groat at about GBP 75 and the Commonwealth Half Groat at GBP 120. I wouldn't argue with the rest of your prices, though the total I paid was GBP 260, not 280 so overall I will end up a bit ahead! :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions