Who needs to search the reject bin on a CoinStar when you have Pull-A-Part??!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey TNETters,

I hardly ever come across a CoinStar Machine to check the reject bin but who needs a CoinStar when you have a Pull-A-Part that you visit. I have made 4 trips to the Pull-A-Part near me in the last three weeks in hope of finding some parts I could use on my' 1999 Ford Ranger in case I ever get it back to life. I have also been trying to find the correct Power Steering Pump for a friend's 2007 Honda Accord and parts (mainly driver's door) for my Grandson's 2003 Ford Focus. It never fails that I come home with some chump change left in the vehicles I check out but most of the time, it is only 15 Cents to a Half Dollar of assorted change and occasionally a tool left behind by either the previous owner of the vehicle or by someone who took a part off of the vehicle and left the tool behind by accident. Well on Thursday, I kind of hit the jackpot on things left in the vehicles I checked and I found the most in a 2000 Ford Ranger. I have not counted all of the change but believe that besides the loose change, there was a Glasses Case full of mainly Cents and all together, there must be close to 3 to 4 dollars or more of change. Besides the change, a lock with a key, a razor cutting tool, a round key ring, two ballpoint pens and a Rechargeable AA Battery Charger and oops, (not pictured) four 1990 Donruss and four 1988 Fleer Baseball Cards. I could have looked harder and probably found a lot more items that I could have scored for free because they don't charge you for these types of items but it was actually kind of hot because I dressed too warm and I was pushing a wheelbarrow with my' tools in it. So, who needs a CoinStar when you have Pull-A-Part!! Also, I scored a nice pair of front Tweety Bird "I am Fired Up" Floor mats and a nice pair of front "Ford" Floor mats (not pictured either as I had to pay for these).

Pull A Part Haul.jpg

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on all the items.
By the verdi on some of the Lincolns I'd say they came from the bottom of a cup holder.
(And if you found them scattered around the floor I wonder if a roll over put them there? :icon_scratch:)

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score on all the items.
By the verdi on some of the Lincolns I'd say they came from the bottom of a cup holder.
(And if you found them scattered around the floor I wonder if a roll over put them there? :icon_scratch:)

Yep, some came from cup holders, some from door panel storage, some from the floorboard but the glasses case full of mainly Cents, came from a glove compartment. None of the vehicles were in rollovers but some of the owners were just pigs.:laughing7: It is unbelievable what you can find in some of the vehicles there. I have found ratchets, sockets, complete socket sets, tons of ballpoint pens, clothes (most of which you would not want), pills (which I don't take), dirty diapers (these you definitely do not want:BangHead:), AA...AAA...C and D batteries, sunglasses, jewelry (mostly costume), unopened drinks, unopened calking tubes and a hole assortment of other items. They pull quite a few vehicles from the lot that have been pretty much stripped of parts each week and replace them with others new to the lot, so there is always a chance of scoring some chump change, other usable items and occasionally a Gold piece of jewelry. Last year, I found a thin 14kt Gold necklace under the floor mat of a car which probably only weighs 2 to maybe 3 grams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
**Update**

Well I finally got around to counting all of the loose coins and the ones in the glasses case and the total came to $3.82 and sorry it took so long to give a total. I have been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to find parts for guns and vehicles, attending Gun Shows, paying bills, buying stuff to resell at the Flea Market when it warms up and get an appointment with the somewhat local Social Security Administration Office to make sure my' Social Security benefits kick in when I turn 66 years of age on March 4th.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
what were the names on the baseball cards

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
1988 Fleer #312 Wally Ritchie and #648 Greg Jelks and Tom Newell
1990 Fleer #567 Roger McDowell and #556 Lenny Dykstra
1988 Donruss #643 Keith Hughes, #207 Von Hayes, #62 Steve Bedrosian and #83 Shane Rawley

All appear to fairly common but a couple seem to fetch a little more on eBay.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I used to hunt for parts out of old cars, I used to find a lot of change also. Nothing else good though.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
When I used to hunt for parts out of old cars, I used to find a lot of change also. Nothing else good though.

Yeah and nowadays, you have to be careful where you put your' fingers or hands because so many folks are shooting up and you might get stuck by a hypodermic needle.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah and nowadays, you have to be careful where you put your' fingers or hands because so many folks are shooting up and you might get stuck by a hypodermic needle.
Ever find much of the devil’s lettuce when ‘rootin around in them thar auto-mobiles?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull-A-Part sounds like what we call a junk yard, if so check under the back seats of the older cars, found a merc once doing this...

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL.
Hadn't heard that term before and I graduated HS in '76. I thought it referred (pun intended) to money (dollar bills) which some consider to be the work of the devil.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of change falling out of pants.....I like searching catholic confessional booths. Throughout the years there are many "rollovers" and much change lost, mostly young boys mowing money. I've scored $367 in change, a slingshot, empty vaseline containers, and a weird assortment of empty condom packs.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever find much of the devil’s lettuce when ‘rootin around in them thar auto-mobiles?

Well, if you are referring to Marijuana which is sometimes referred to as Pot, Weed, Grass, 420, Ganga, Dope, Herb, Joint, Blunt, Cannabis, Reefer, Mary Jane, Buds, Stinkweed, Nuggets, Chronic, Tobacco, Hay, Rope, Gangster, Skunk, Boom, Blaze, Ashes, Block, Boo, Broccoli, Burrito, Burnie, Charge or Doobie, then the answer is no.

If you are referring to Notes or Bills of different denominations, then the answer is also no.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, if you are referring to Marijuana which is sometimes referred to as Pot, Weed, Grass, 420, Ganga, Dope, Herb, Joint, Blunt, Cannabis, Reefer, Mary Jane, Buds, Stinkweed, Nuggets, Chronic, Tobacco, Hay, Rope, Gangster, Skunk, Boom, Blaze, Ashes, Block, Boo, Broccoli, Burrito, Burnie, Charge or Doobie, then the answer is no.
Broccoli? :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice score! :occasion14:

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Broccoli.... You know? Like hooter, smoke , green stuff , giggle weed , dank , thirteen , Ect...

I wanted to post a Youtube clip of Cheech & Chong "Up in Smoke" as it has more names for the Evil Weed but some of the language is inappropriate for the younger members on TNET.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh...the memories. I'm old enough to say that back in my day, there were no Pick n Pull lits, just basic junkyards. I could spend HOURS wandering around the local yards...just rooting around, digging under seats and floor mats. O yes, and the occasional car part I was after. Nowadays, they charge you a fee to enter and root through your tool box upon leaving. But lately I've been to a couple of those Pick n Pull lots and scored a LOT of stuff. Tools, coins, cash, jewelry, lottery tickets (new), etc...but I wear highly protective kevlar gloves...I do NOT want/need a needle jumping out and biting me. Some of the stuff I find is comical...legal papers, late notices, reposession papers...I pulled down a visor and a (new/wrapped) condom fell on my lap lol...I ALWAYS make sure to check the spare tire well and trunk area, some of the best stuff is not hidden, but rather stashed. Always a great time cruising the junk line...a couple hours can fly by, time is easy to lose track of. Thx for the trip back to memory lane...coming from a kid who bought every car, every car part and turned every wrench himself...while Dad laid on the couch and *****ed about tracking grease in...Ahhh the memories! Ddf.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh...the memories. I'm old enough to say that back in my day, there were no Pick n Pull lits, just basic junkyards. I could spend HOURS wandering around the local yards...just rooting around, digging under seats and floor mats. O yes, and the occasional car part I was after. Nowadays, they charge you a fee to enter and root through your tool box upon leaving. But lately I've been to a couple of those Pick n Pull lots and scored a LOT of stuff. Tools, coins, cash, jewelry, lottery tickets (new), etc...but I wear highly protective kevlar gloves...I do NOT want/need a needle jumping out and biting me. Some of the stuff I find is comical...legal papers, late notices, reposession papers...I pulled down a visor and a (new/wrapped) condom fell on my lap lol...I ALWAYS make sure to check the spare tire well and trunk area, some of the best stuff is not hidden, but rather stashed. Always a great time cruising the junk line...a couple hours can fly by, time is easy to lose track of. Thx for the trip back to memory lane...coming from a kid who bought every car, every car part and turned every wrench himself...while Dad laid on the couch and *****ed about tracking grease in...Ahhh the memories! Ddf.

I like to search the smaller extended cab trucks with the side fold down seats. Folks tend to stash all kinds of stuff in the compartment behind and under those seats. In fact, I found a small socket set, a quality pair of channel locks and even quite a few coins in that location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread