1972 penny doubled die?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Thursday i hit the local bank and picked up a box of pennies. To my surprise it looks like 80 percent of the coins are 1978 or older. I assume someone cashed in their penny jar. Anyhow...I Just found this 1972 penny that looks to be a doubled die. My concern is the 7 and 2 are doubled pretty good but only a very slight doubling of the 1 and 9. Is this one of the many varieties of the 1972 doubled dies? Can anyone confirm what i am looking at?

IMG_0078.JPG S20190922_0001.jpg

Thanks for your response!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not an error expert in a long shot,but the 7 2 look definitely doubled. If I'm thinking correctly, you should also be seeing some doubling effect on other obv parts of the coin.
You have good eyes on this one.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thats why i put a question mark at the end of the title. I
don't see doubling anywhere else on the coin. This very well may turn out to be another dead end.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Tough call for me. 1972 cent has many examples of die doubling. This variety is not in my library, but I do not have every example catalogued. I will call this a “maybe”.

Someone with a bit more experience with this date will have to chime in.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough call for me. 1972 cent has many examples of die doubling. This variety is not in my library, but I do not have every example catalogued. I will call this a “maybe”.

Someone with a bit more experience with this date will have to chime in.

Time for more coffee.

It's a super tough call for me. I was not able to find an example of this on the net so i was hoping someone might have an idea. Is it possible i am looking at machine doubling again?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Could be machine doubling, but I lean toward doubled die right now. The 2 looks good for die doubling, but the 9 and the 1, by themselves, do not. Of course, I, like everyone else, will see what I want to see, rather than evidence. Hence the doubt.

Someone with more experience will chime in within a few days. Give it time.

You could take it to a local coin shop to have them take a peek.

Time for more coffee.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but definitely looks to be MD to me.
There is no notching at the top and/or bottom of any numbers, especially the 7. Notching on the corners of the letters should be there.
On the 2, if you remove the area that looks "extra" (on the right), the primary part looks very thin.

(And just to make things more confusing with Lincolns in 1972 there was some very strong
non-valuable master die doubling that shows up on LIBERTY and IGWT.)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an expert either...and yes there are more than one variety. I'm trying to find it again, a few years back I found one similar and found a page on the net that gave the different varieties. I may be wayyyyyy wrong but for some reason I'm thining these are worth a few bucks even with that doubling....again my memory sucks...I'll keep looking for the web page and post back if I find it....

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but this is md. It is shelflike and cuts into the design. Not a true doubled die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions