silver coin problem

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What condition is the qtr? If it's not worth saving as a collection piece, then just try dropping it on concrete floor a few times, or take a rubber hammer to it a little at a time.
Are you sure it's concrete, or a glue.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
concrete breaks down in heat long before silver melts I think. Look it up on google quick and hit it with a torch if I'm correct. should pop it off or turn it too dust. This is all of course if its not a good quarter. even if it is not sure it would hurt it too much as long as you don't get it too hot.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Similar to Tpmetal's suggestion, I've had similar luck with hot water from the sink. Would try that anyway before I got too radical.

TCK

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Along the lines above, freeze it then hit it with hot water or heat and it might pop right off.

Pics or it didn't happen })

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea heat it freeze ot I would think it would come off

Zhar

Greenie
Jan 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try :
- rubber
- vinegar
- white stone

Do you get a photo to see the coin ?

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can try :
- rubber
- vinegar
- white stone

I would not recommend Vinegar... I think cycling hot / cold is going to be your best bet as well.

Silver expands and contracts with temperature about 50% more than concrete, so if you freeze it, heat it, freeze it, heat it... The concrete should begin to break up and break away from the silver. If it were me, I'd stay away from anything that could damage the coin. In my mind that means no solvents or acids (ie vinegar), and no blow torches. I'd use a more controlled heat source like an oven or steam cooker.

Hope it all works out! I would second the general request for images to help us help you...

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also just realized, my guess is that everyone here is under the same assumption: You have a coin with a little concrete on it, but can more or less hold the coin plus concrete in your hand. If you have a coin that has been half set into a large block of concrete, then I guess... jackhammer? Anyway, in the event that we are talking about a larger piece of concrete, that would be a good point to add. If not, refer to above posts :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions