Whats the most valuable coin YOUVE ever discovered?

What was it's value? (in US dollars)

• Total voters

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Attachments

• cert plus indians 001.jpg
    cert plus indians 001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 11,418
W

whites6000inPa

Re: What's the most valuable coin YOU'VE ever discovered?

I'm unsure about the value.....and since some of the other folks here have "discovered" coins without digging them, I'll add my best eBay discovery. I bought this 1917-D type 1 SLQ on eBay in a type set that I paid less than $275.00 for postage paid and insured.

Wyatt

Attachments

• 17-DOBV.JPG
    17-DOBV.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 11,174
  • 17-DREV.JPG
    17-DREV.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 11,257
  • 17-DREV.JPG
    17-DREV.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 11,051
  • 17-DOBV.JPG
    17-DOBV.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 11,094

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005

Not sure that these 2 dimes are my most valuable coin finds but they rank right up there due to their condition.

Found these 2 on Seminole War forts in Florida. Ironically, these were the only dimes I found on all the fort sites I have hunted.

Attachments

• 1837 dimes reverse.jpg
    1837 dimes reverse.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 11,138
  • 1837 dimes obverse.jpg
    1837 dimes obverse.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 10,970

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi All My TH'ing Friends
My best/most valuable find to me is a 1854 Type 1 US $1 Gold Dollar. I found it in a construction site in Leesburg, VA. I was searching with a Whites XLT and got a beep that would not lock. I dug down 9.5 inches and popped this beauty. It catalogs at between $500 and $600 dollars. I still have it and don't think I would sell it.
Thanks
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Attachments

• 1854 $1 Obverse.JPG
    1854 $1 Obverse.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 10,849
  • 1854 $1 Reverse.JPG
    1854 $1 Reverse.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 10,759
  • 1854 $1 Obverse.JPG
    1854 $1 Obverse.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 10,799
  • 1854 $1 Reverse.JPG
    1854 $1 Reverse.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 10,762

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

marc....GREAT post....some absolutely gorgeous and stunning coins on here!!!!!! Until I find my first gold coin, this 1917 type 1 Standing Liberty quarter in F condition will have to be my most valuable ($50-$70), it pales in comparison to that beauty of one Whites got on EBAY (what a sweet and surprising find that was in a bulk purchase,,,congrats again Whites). Also after reading some of these posts I am gonna have to get some values of my old Canadian silver coins.
Keep this post going...am drooling over all the replies..and I also can post the gold coin I am gonna find tomorrow... ;D ;D ;D
Let tomorrow be the day you find THE coin of your dreams to put on this post...GOOD LUCK to all and HH!!!!

Attachments

• 1917 St. Lib..JPG
    1917 St. Lib..JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 11,641
  • 1917 St. Lib..JPG
    1917 St. Lib..JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 11,683

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know the grade but it was found today in my back yard. Finally found an indian head. 1909 S, I think. I know its a 1909 with the dirt that it has it is tough to tell if the "s" is just that or part of the bottom of the cluster. What I beleive to be the s is located directly below the E under the cluster where the wreath comes together at the bottom of the coin. Sorry, no camera. If it is an S what would be the approximate value?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

A lot- ;) A 1909s Indian should bring about 400-450 in Fine condition. I'd hold off on doing any cleaning at all if you strongly suspect thats what it is. Take it to a deal or conservator if you have one locally.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not an S. I just the magnifier out. Just dirt. None the less, still my oldest and best find to date!!

C

chocksaway

It is a Henry VIII Crown of the Double Rose Gold coin i found it on a beach near were i live in England,and what is also interesting is that about six feet away,i found a Portugeuse 16th century silver coin not of any great value but it gets the grey matter working.
Value about £250 for the gold and about 20 quid for the silver.

Cheers.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

About a year ago I dug a 1792 French 30 sol. There was one just like it went for 200 dollars on ebay. The book said it was worth about fifty. :-\

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

normal_Mybest.JPG

1698 Charles II - 1 Escudo - Mexico MInt w/ Jeweled cross...valued $1850.00
found amonst 37 nails, used my Fisher Impulse during the 96' cut at Corrigan's beach - 1715 Fleet.
dig dig dig x 37 = priceless......
I don't dig all my targets anymore, the Impulse is a bit outdated, so now I use Minelab or Tesoro. and I don't work with a shovel either...I left a 2 escudos standing on it's side while using that dang thing and it cost me that one, careless and in a hurry.
One day I'll dig me a whole cache of 'em... ;)

Trez

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202

I've only gone metal detecting once with a detector I got from a rental store. Found a 1982 lincoln cent. I have a metal detector on my cristmas list so hopefully Santy Claus will come through. I did buy a 1885 half dime clipped planchet at an auction. I paid $32.77. I sent it to ANACS and it came back VF20 over inverted date 15 percent clipped planchet. No idea on value since it has a clip. But I'm guessing its a lot more than what I paid ;D.

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

1845 Seated Liberty Dime - Philly. See my avatar for pic. The actual pic is on another computer..

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

1876 seated Carson city Dime, and a 1883 V nickle both in fair condition and valued 20.00 to 100.00 each ;D this is actually all the coins I found at that spot,

Attachments

• CCI00018.jpg
    CCI00018.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9,689
D

dlsharp5

Back in 2004 while my wife and i were yard sailing, i came across two quart jars stuffed with whatnots, buttons and just plain junk. These were the old blue jars with the old lead lids. I opened and seen an assortment of buttons, marbles, ribbon, and even some foreign coins. It really looked like someone just dumped what ever they had in a junk drawer into these jars. Well she had $5 each marked on the jars and we were some of the first few people here. So figured they wouldn't last long. The old buttons and the jars themselves, my wife was interested in. Myself all the foregn money and marbles. So I bought both, and the old woman seemed pleased to get rid of them. Upon inspection late that day I had a dozen canadian pennies, nickels and dimes. Sever aluminum pcs from israel, a few large pennies from Great Britain (60's), some shiney brass pcs from Brazil... but the most pleasant surprise was the 1879 $5 Gold Half Eagle that would easy go XF... Guess around $225 or so... THAT WAS A GOOD DAY!

Dave

B

baseballbandits

I wouldnt mind seeing a pic of that 1879 Half Eagle. $5 for a $5 gold coin aint' too shabby. :o

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer

Im not a coin collector but some times I find them looking for arrowheads on lake shores. Im not sure what this one is worth but its my oldest find dated 1704.... the silver coin on bottom of pic. I think its french. I would think it must be worth a buck or two.

Attachments

• 114_1404.JPG
    114_1404.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 9,673

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90

Found a 1916-D Walking Liberty Half in VF-30. Sold it for $115. Probably would of got more but i field cleaned it.

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ole.Grubstake said:
Hmmmmmmm! That would be my 1550's gold escudo I found while diving on my wreck site. I would not sell it but have heard it's worth around $2,000.00
Stupid question...how did you get a wreck site? I mean, do you own it? Or is it a state lease or something?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread