Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1965 silver dime?????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2007
    Grayling, MI
    ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
    1 times

1965 silver dime?????

The red book doesnt show a 1965 silver Roosevelt but I have 2. Is this common?

Surfin
    You slept in peace last night because brave men stood ready to preform violent acts on your behalf!

us
    May 2006
    Haverhill, MA
    Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: 1965 silver dime?????

As far as I am aware, the silver stopped in 1964. I have quite a few 65's myself. They seem pretty common.

What makes you think yours is silver?

When you have children, you realize what your purpose in life is. There is nothing more important than your family. Cherish it. It can be gone in a blink of an eye.

us
    Oct 2006
    338 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

i have heard of this before but most say no they are not silver but hey who knows

us
    Jan 2007
    South Carolina
    Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
    56 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I don't think any 65's slipped thru the cracks as silver or at least I have never seen one.

us
    Dec 2007
    Grayling, MI
    1 times

groovedymond,

I am positive they are silver. They are exacly like the 64's and they make the same sound that silve dimes make and they are solid in color all thru them. I found a site that has some info about them. They are worth about $100 a piece and they can still be found in circulation although rarely.

Surfin
    You slept in peace last night because brave men stood ready to preform violent acts on your behalf!

us
    Oct 2006
    338 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by surfin
    groovedymond,

I am positive they are silver. They are exacly like the 64's and they make the same sound that silve dimes make and they are solid in color all thru them. I found a site that has some info about them. They are worth about $100 a piece and they can still be found in circulation although rarely.

Surfin

us
    Jul 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    6 times

groovedymond,

Surfin

I'm not sure where you found this information, but it is incorrect. 1965 silver dimes do indeed exist, but they were created on accident due to silver planchets from 1964 remaining trapped in the nooks and crannies of the mint's equipment. This is a VERY rare error called an "off metal error" and I can almost 100% guarantee that you did not find a 1965 silver dime, let alone 2. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it. The clad dimes weigh 2.268 grams, while the silver ones weigh 2.5 grams.

Also, in regards to your value assessment, you are off by quite a bit. A genuine 1965 dime struck on a silver planchet can be worth well over $10,000.

-Paul
    coinguy*matthew likes this.

us
    Apr 2008
    North Central Massachusetts
    Minelab ETrac
    3 times

Accordig to "Strike It Rich With Pocket Change" (2006) there were accidental silver planchets used in 1965, 66, and 67. Just look at the reed edge. Clad will have the tell tale copper color on the edge. The silver ones are all silver. They are wrth big bucks.

John
    When in doubt, dig it!

us
    Do you have Jesus in your heart?

Feb 2007
    Kentucky
    Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

Some of those mid 60 dimes will sure catch your eye if you're looking through change AND on some of the metered machines.
    "Those who love me will keep my word, and my father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." (John 14:23 NRSV)

us
    Dec 2007
    Grayling, MI
    1 times

Paul
    were did you find the value of 10k? I am positive these are silver and I am going to have them weighed today. There is no clad marks on the edge and they sound exactly like silver coins do and they also have the silver coin patina that clad just doesnt have.

I will get them weighed and let you know and I will find that book. But was the value in that book?

Surfin

us
    Jul 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    6 times

Surfin,

I searched around on the internet for suggested values, as well as searching Heritage Auction Galleries' auction archive. On July 27, 2003, A PCGS AU 58 1965 dime struck on a silver planchet sold for $8,912. I believe that if that coin came up for auction again today, it would most likely sell for around 12-15 thousand dollars. http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item...No=9832&src=pr

Then, on January 6th, 2006, an ANACS AU 55 1965 dime on silver planchet sold for $8,625.http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item...No=6260&src=pr

As for your dimes having silver edges and looking/sounding silver, it seems for some reason that clad coinage from 1965-1970 always has an odd look to it that makes it appear to be silver.

-Paul

us
    Apr 2008
    North Central Massachusetts
    Minelab ETrac
    3 times

But was the value in that book?

Surfin
    In mine (from 2006) it was $2000 to $5500. I'll double check tonight.

John

UPDATE: Added pictures from my book. Click on the thumbnails for full sized pictures.

When in doubt, dig it!

us
    Sep 2007
    Greenville,NC
    Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
    1 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

No such thing
    WWW.WEDIGDIXIEFORUMS.COM
    Researching, Recovering & Preserving America's Past

us
    Dec 2007
    Grayling, MI
    1 times

Had them taken to a jeweler and these babys are silver. I am going to take them to a coin expert on tuesday.

I think if they are that pricey I will set one each aside for each of my boys.

Surfin

I will keep you posted. I still haven gone through all of these yet and if you want a bigger inventory check out "coins gallor" in todays finds.

us
    Apr 2008
    GA
    Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter

Congrats and I hope you have the real thing there. Counterfeits have been made in the past I hear and cast in real silver. The chinese have been known to counterfeit silver coins and are darn good at it. I believe you will have to get them evaluated by an expert numismatist or one of the top three grading companies, which are PCGS, NGC, or ANACS in order to validate. Good luck

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors