1965 silver dime?????

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
ANYONE who thinks that they have a rare silver error coin can only damage it by taking it to a jeweler. The only way that a jeweler can determine whether a coin is silver is to apply acid to it. That acid spot will remove nearly all of the value of your coin. A BU coin with an applied acid spot will come back as a net AG coin with a red damaged label from the slab companies. To put that in perspective. If your coin is really worth $10,000 in that condition and is really genuine you just turned it into a $500 coin. SMOOTH MOVE. You had two? Double smooth move. siegfried schlagrule

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
ANYONE who thinks that they have a rare silver error coin can only damage it by taking it to a jeweler. The only way that a jeweler can determine whether a coin is silver is to apply acid to it. That acid spot will remove nearly all of the value of your coin. A BU coin with an applied acid spot will come back as a net AG coin with a red damaged label from the slab companies. To put that in perspective. If your coin is really worth $10,000 in that condition and is really genuine you just turned it into a $500 coin. SMOOTH MOVE. You had two? Double smooth move. siegfried schlagrule

Boo-yah!

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
n_sandler4 said:
dragon6banger said:
could they have been in a silver proof set

The silver proof sets were not started until 1992. Before 1964, the sets were technically silver proof sets, but only because all circulating halves, quarters, and dimes were made of 90% silver. There is no way these dimes came out of a silver proof set. In fact, the proofs of 1964 and before were minted in Philadelphia, not San Fransisco.

I stand by my original assessment, and I am 99.999% sure that these dimes are NOT silver, no matter what the jeweler or the OP says.

I have the bicentennial proof silver set of 1976 and its silver. they were offered both ways that year, I got them in silver. really cool looking coins that year, the quarter and half I mean. I dont remember if the dime was different.
HH
Neil

-Paul

RyanOShea

Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac. Ex2. X-Terra. Garret pro pointer. Fisher Headphones, Whites headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I should make a note on this. Sometimes, when I clean my silver clad coin finds. I throw in some scrap silver with them in the vinegar and salt mix. They come out looking like silver. I also sometimes add just a dab of silver plating to a sponge and toss it in. and give em a final clean that way. So, this is possible why you have two 1965 dimes that appear to be silver. wish you added pix. I know other detectorists who clean their clad the same way by adding scrap silver in. It works pretty good.

Iknownothing

Aug 21, 2011
Greenville, SC
Hate to re-open an old thread, but I have a 1965 Roosevelt dime that could be silver. I am posting pics to get some expert opinions. It looks a bit whiter than a standard 1965 Roosevelt dime, and it is worn, but does not appear to have the copper band that is evident in other 1965's. (I checked it against 2 others) Anyways, here are some pics, give me your opinions.

1965-face.JPG
1965-Side.JPG

Dizzious

May 8, 2011
I came here to report a false alarm on a 1965 silver dime. I was edge checking a box of dimes this afternoon, and I was sure I'd found another silver one - but upon pulling it out, I noticed it was a '65. I inspected it more closely, and could just barely see a hint of copper peaking through on the corner of the coin. Without holding it under a magnifying glass, the silver-colored edge makes it look just like a silver coin.

I suspect what happened was when the blank for the coin that I have was punched out of the planchet, the punch "smeared" the nickel layer across the copper on the edge of the coin, hiding nearly all of the copper. Almost fooled me, US mint. Almost.

Iknownothing said:
Hate to re-open an old thread, but I have a 1965 Roosevelt dime that could be silver. I am posting pics to get some
expert opinions. It looks a bit whiter than a standard 1965 Roosevelt dime, and it is worn, but does not appear to
have the copper band that is evident in other 1965's. (I checked it against 2 others) Anyways, here are some pics,
give me your opinions.
Iknownothing, are you color blind by any chance? -because I don't see how else you could have thought that those were silver. I can see the copper in them from a mile away.

Seeing as surfin never returned to tell us any other details about his "silver" 1965's, and also never posted any sort of pictures, I think we can assume that this was all just a hoax or a false alarm.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Dizzious said:
I came here to report a false alarm on a 1965 silver dime. I was edge checking a box of dimes this afternoon, and I was sure I'd found another silver one - but upon pulling it out, I noticed it was a '65. I inspected it more closely, and could just barely see a hint of copper peaking through on the corner of the coin. Without holding it under a magnifying glass, the silver-colored edge makes it look just like a silver coin.

I suspect what happened was when the blank for the coin that I have was punched out of the planchet, the punch "smeared" the nickel layer across the copper on the edge of the coin, hiding nearly all of the copper. Almost fooled me, US mint. Almost.

Iknownothing said:
Hate to re-open an old thread, but I have a 1965 Roosevelt dime that could be silver. I am posting pics to get some
expert opinions. It looks a bit whiter than a standard 1965 Roosevelt dime, and it is worn, but does not appear to
have the copper band that is evident in other 1965's. (I checked it against 2 others) Anyways, here are some pics,
give me your opinions.
Iknownothing, are you color blind by any chance? -because I don't see how else you could have thought that those were silver. I can see the copper in them from a mile away.

Seeing as surfin never returned to tell us any other details about his "silver" 1965's, and also never posted any sort of pictures, I think we can assume that this was all just a hoax or a false alarm.

Iknownothing must really know nothing to say it is silver.

Speedracer1

May 16, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting note to add to this thread. . .

I am a full time coin dealer an have been one for over 30 years. I was sorting some random change last night and came across a 1965 dime that I was fairly certain might be silver.
I studied it using a 30x loupe and also weighed it. The edge showed NO sign of copper at all. After careful study, I finally determined that it wasn't silver. I found faint hints of copper
peeking out at the base of some letters and the weight was that of a clad piece. My point in writing this is that if I could have serious difficulty making this determination. I can EASILY
see how a novice might be "SURE" they found a 1965 silver dime. This is my first post and I hope it will shed some light on this issue.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
could they have been in a silver proof set

There were no silver proof sets in 1965... There were no proof sets in 1965. Because of the switch to Clad, people started hoarding the silver change. Dimes and Quarters became hard to find, Nickels became tough because they were used to take the place of the larger coins. Imagine buying a candy for $.05, given a dollar, and getting 19 nickels in change? Anyhow, for 1965, 1966, and 1967, no proof sets were made. The machinery and workers were used to produce regular dimes and quarters. You could buy Special mint Sets those years, but that was it. Proof sets came back in 1968, but have very little value.

Silver sets are a relatively new thing. They started in 1999 with the quarter series i believe...

Babbie

Dec 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info in this thread, thank you! I thought I might have a silver dime too. It's from my grandmother's collection (she'd be 96 if she were still alive today). It's very tarnished and I'm afraid to clean it. I know it's probably not. But that would be cool!

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! It is tarnished. It looks like someone might have soaked it in bleach. FYI, never try to clean your coins with bleach.

CuriousJoe

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may have one of these planchet pressed coins. It appears to be tarnished black, so I can only imagine it has some silver in it. Would anyone beable to confirm with an image? Http://imgur.com/NQpKACG, http://imgur.com/PZxmvh2. I've also noted that it has a reddish copper ring, but have yet to weigh it.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad coins can also tarnish black, so I see no reason to think it is anything but a normal clad dime.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may have one of these planchet pressed coins. It appears to be tarnished black, so I can only imagine it has some silver in it. Would anyone beable to confirm with an image? Http://imgur.com/NQpKACG, Imgur. I've also noted that it has a reddish copper ring, but have yet to weigh it.

It's environmental. It was buried or dirtied and it's discolored. The copper ring just indicates a normal clad dime.

carlo

Dec 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my 1965 silver dime can you check my coins if got worth? Thank you. DSCF5715.JPG DSCF5725.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNET carlo!

This Thread about 1965 Silver Roosevelt Dimes is almost 8 1/2 years old. If you want help on your' 1965 Dime, please post it in a new Thread where it will get more attention and please post some good pics of both the Obverse and Reverse of the coin as well as the coin's Reeded edge.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions