West Michigan, Holland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
1 Garrett Pro Pointer
1 Lesche Trowel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Amozon review says - I can totally filter out the crap iron and soda cans, is this right? I am doing research on the Xp Deus

I have owned this detector for almost a year now and it is already paid for. The finds I have made so far, both relics, coins and gold, were on areas I had already been over with my other detector. Even in new, highly contaminated areas, I was able to fine tune the easy to use control panel to totally filter out the crap iron and soda cans, which I was not able to do before.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: XP DEUS Wireless Metal Detector

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
If there's some combination of settings that magically excludes all garbage, I certainly don't know about it. I'm still learning the machine though.

What you can do with a Deus is to set everything in such a way that the trash signals are easier to ignore. One common method is to run high reactivity with a bit of iron volume; you'll hear the iron, but it won't sound like conductive targets for the most part. (Nails and especially bottle caps will remain tricky as they do for most machines, but there are techniques to screen out most of them. The most effective discriminator is the human brain.) Or you can use the factory Deus Fast program, which does basically the same thing. It doesn't "filter out" the iron, but it allows you to effectively ignore most of it while hearing the stuff that you want to hear. In Minelab terms, it's similar to TTF, except that programs can be changed in one or two button pushes and the menu is fairly intuitive if other settings must be changed, and the recovery time is so fast that targets tend to pop out even in heavy masking. There are also far more things that can be changed, which is both a curse and a blessing until you understand what all of those settings do and how they influence one another.

Another option (and one that I often use) is to run the notch up to 35, as there's nothing that I can think of that I'd want to dig below that number, with a safety margin included. This doesn't cut out all of the iron, but it cuts out the majority of the small iron. Iron (particularly when large and/or deep) will still wrap around, but notching that out will also notch out big silver. There are tricks for evaluating targets like this that come from research and experience.

While that review seems to be a bit optimistic, I have absolutely no regrets about buying mine. The human factor was the biggest selling point for me, but the electronics also happen to be very good - not absolutely great, but definitely very good.

Watch some videos on Youtube if you haven't already. It's a different machine. I didn't buy mine with the idea of replacing my other machines for ~95% of my hunts, but that's what eventually happened.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
My hunt today reminded me that I should mention one other feature that the Deus has, but most other detectors lack: the X-Y visualization screen. It's much easier to watch a video of it than to have someone explain it to you while making sense, so I'd recommend finding a video demonstrating it on Youtube. It's actually a development tool meant for troubleshooting or testing, but it's a very useful feature for certain styles of hunting. In practical terms, what it does is practically guarantee whether or not a target is round(ish) and whether it's ferrous or not.

It is not infallible though. Today I heard a tone that sounded good, but not great...maybe diggable, maybe not. I checked the trace and it was also good, but not great - the angle of the trace was appropriate for a zincoln, but there were some stray lines and squiggles that I didn't care for. Rather than evaluate the target further, I figured that it was shallow enough to dig easily and just went for it, not sure what to expect. It turned out to be a very badly toasted zincoln with probably ~30% of the coin missing, mostly around the circumference - hence the odd signal and trace.

A coin or ring lying flat will provide a beautiful trace that's unmistakable...of course, so will a bottlecap if it's wrapping around just so. :) Still, it's nice to be able to confirm at a glance that you're looking at a round target. With the amount of can slaw and crumpled up foil around here, a good trace (and accompanying good tone, as all that trace does is give you a visual interpretation of the signal that's more useful than a simple conductivity number) rules out a lot of the usual trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread