To Buy or Not to Buy - The XP Deus?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read all of the posts in this forum and make up your mind that way. No one can really tell you what to do one way or the other.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are in the valley... if you have that notoriously hot VA soil where you hunt, the Deus isn't going to do any better or worse than what you are already using. Aside from the hot soils issue, the most desireable characteristic is the ability to hunt highly trashy sites due to its recovery speed. If you have a lot of those types of sites, you may find yourself really liking the Deus.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking real hard at an XP Deus, but haven't decided yet. I've hunted with a Fisher 1266X, then a White's MXT Pro. I now use either a Garrett AT Pro (Love it!) or a Teknetics T2SE.

Help me make up my mind. Should I take the plunge to the next level? Help me out fellas.

My personal experience with t he deus is its a great detector. .Until I got the CTX..It can everything the deus can do..But the deus cant do what the ctx can do..
If ur coming from the T2 then you will really love the true vdi numbers on the ctx..I know the t2 and the deus you cant rely on..I know I got of base with the ctx but if your going to spend the money you mite as well go a little bit more. .
My 2cent worth.
George

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My personal experience with t he deus is its a great detector. .Until I got the CTX..It can everything the deus can do..But the deus cant do what the ctx can do..
If ur coming from the T2 then you will really love the true vdi numbers on the ctx..I know the t2 and the deus you cant rely on..I know I got of base with the ctx but if your going to spend the money you mite as well go a little bit more. .
My 2cent worth.
George

I disagree, because the CTX can't do everything the Deus can do, but it can do a lot the Deus can't do.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, because the CTX can't do everything the Deus can do, but it can do a lot the Deus can't do.

Ur right!!! Not everything. ..
I just find myself going to the ctx much more. ..

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went from AT Pro (really liked it) to Deus. Deus is light, wireless, configurable and fast... if weight is an issue, Deus is the only way to go. I have used the ATP once since getting the Deus... the Deus is an awesome machine. It took a little getting used to, but that is just the learning curve that you are going to see with any machine. I really like it... a real pleasure to use.

I hunt with a CTX guy... he does well with that machine, however, we go back and forth, sometimes he finds better stuff, sometimes the Deus finds the goods. CTX is the only other machine I would consider.

Don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of assistance.
GL&HH.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the Deus, CTX and ATPro. I have had my best luck with the Deus, with the ATPro a close second. The CTX is still new to me and I haven't had the opportunity to use it at my best sites yet. The Deus has by far the fastest reaction time of any machine I have ever used. The CTX is the deepest non-PI machine I've used in my test garden, but only marginally deeper than the Deus. Both are considerably deeper and more accurate than the ATPro (though the ATP holds its own down to about 10"-12" on larger coins). With more time on the CTX I may recommend it over the Deus, but for right now my Deus is my go-to machine for woods and fields.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got extensive experience with all three detectors, the AT, Deus and CTX.

Generally, I go with the CTX because it tells me a whole lot more. You can't beat the lightweight and speed of the Deus though. The Deus seems a lot less affected by discrimination on the depth then the CTX. The AT Pro is a great detector for the price. Once I've used the Deus and CTX I cannot go back to using the AT Pro.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking real hard at an XP Deus, but haven't decided yet. I've hunted with a Fisher 1266X, then a White's MXT Pro. I now use either a Garrett AT Pro (Love it!) or a Teknetics T2SE.

Help me make up my mind. Should I take the plunge to the next level? Help me out fellas.

I would not get one. Leave all the goodies in the heavy iron and trash for me! ;)

XP-Man

Jul 28, 2014
Lowell, Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how light and how fast it is 9 inch coil was pretty deep and I have the 11 inch shipping right now to me

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For pulling non-ferrous keepers from older, iron infested sites.........Deus

For coin hunting in sites that contain that contain both iron and modern trash........CTX

The Deus with its amazing target separation will find what the CTX misses.

The CTX with its awesome ID accuracy will find what the Deus misidentifies.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I bought the Deus and took it out this morning to a site I've pounded for 3 years with an MXT Pro, a T2SE and an AT Pro. It's a very small area I was hunting - about 800 square feet and loaded with iron. First hunt, not really knowing what I was doing, I pulled a 19th century decorative copper alloy box top (about 2x3 inches in size) out of the ground from a depth of just over 12". I also dug a colonial era spoon at about 8" which shared its bed with an iron nail, and a Buffalo Nickel at about 5 inches. Every spot has had all of the other machine coils over it. I do realize this machine has a huge learning curve and the possibilities for customization are almost limitless.

The downloadable software upgrades will keep it cutting edge for some time. The weight is amazing. The telescoping rod is something the other manufacturers better pay attention to. I have a lot to learn on this, but for a first time, 90 minute hunt on a new machine I know little about in a pounded area, I was impressed.

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deus will have you re-checking the hole quite a bit more as it finds that which is masked & co-located!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely run the Deus in Basic mode for awhile. I started experimenting right off and wasted time and got frustrated. Took me 40 hours to really learn the machine and then I still had to check my readings to make sure before I dug a lot of times.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely run the Deus in Basic mode for awhile. I started experimenting right off and wasted time and got frustrated. Took me 40 hours to really learn the machine and then I still had to check my readings to make sure before I dug a lot of times.

I hunted with that for about 10 minutes, but then tried the GM Power - which I felt more comfortable with. Yes, I realize this will take some time, but I really like the machine after this first trial run.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the modest haul for the first time out.

xp_deus_1st.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread