Question on DEUS

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for the answers, got a few more now that im figuring out the settings etc.

1.Should the deus be powered off the ground or the coil in the ground. I read somewhere that it should be powered up at hip height ?
2.I really want to start using full tones from the start, but is it okey to have full tones and use for example discrimination of 10, or using notch, wouldn't it just silence the tones from those numbers.
3.When manually ground balancing should I listen at the sound when lifting the coil up and down and tune it that way, or simply look at the MI chart and tune it +-3, I really would like to GB myself without always keeping it at 90 (if the soil and mineralisation can give me lower numbers).
4.Is there any harm to the coil when tweaking the numbers even at their highest(wont do it) ?
5.Is it normal when switching between presets that the coil makes a clicking sound ?

Newbie questions vol.2:hello:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for the answers, got a few more now that im figuring out the settings etc.

1.Should the deus be powered off the ground or the coil in the ground. I read somewhere that it should be powered up at hip height ?
2.I really want to start using full tones from the start, but is it okey to have full tones and use for example discrimination of 10, or using notch, wouldn't it just silence the tones from those numbers.
3.When manually ground balancing should I listen at the sound when lifting the coil up and down and tune it that way, or simply look at the MI chart and tune it +-3, I really would like to GB myself without always keeping it at 90 (if the soil and mineralisation can give me lower numbers).
4.Is there any harm to the coil when tweaking the numbers even at their highest(wont do it) ?
5.Is it normal when switching between presets that the coil makes a clicking sound ?

Newbie questions vol.2:hello:

1. Powered on with the coil at hip height (unless you are really short, then get it up there about 2 1/2 to 3 feet off the ground), away from large metal objects like house siding or vehicles until the "Yes"/"No" speaker prompt appears on the remote.

2. Yes, if you use full tones, the tones from notched or discriminated levels will be suppressed. I think leaving disc around 5 to 10 is a fine starting point. however, I personally see no reason to notch anything if you are using full tones. Kind of defeats the purpose - unlike Iron disc, I feel like if I am notching anything above the iron discrimination range then I am going to miss a good target (hard core users feel the same way about Iron Disc and set it to the minimum they can stand with the iron grunts and ground feedback). Let your ears and eyes feed your brain to do the high TID discriminating and make your own dig decisions rather than relying on your machine to make that decision for you. I don't trust inanimate objects. i don't trust animate objects, for that matter.

3. When manually ground balancing just sweep/pump the coil a little and then dial it in +/- 3. Tracking works pretty good, esp. in v 4, if you want to just set and forget or if ground conductivity is constantly moving around. But if you want to bias to negative ground disc to eek out some depth (at the expense of perhaps a little chattiness) then you need to use manual. I see no use for pumping, that's really just manual with a pumping prompt - you already know you need to do that.. Also, Andy Sabisch recommends going into the expert setting on "Ground Notch" and make the whole bar black by repeatedly pressing either the + or - button (can't remember which, just start pressing away and see how the bar reacts). He says it quiets the machine down without any performance hit. YMMV, as always.

4. Not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if you can dial in the number on the remote you will not break anything, so tweak away.

5. Yes.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) Hold your coil about 3 feet off the ground (hip height, as you say) and away from anything metallic like your car, when powering up.
2) I can't answer that one.
3) Sounds like you are talking about pumping, not manually setting ground balance. To manually GB, just adjust using the +/- to match or come close to the suggested setting.
4) No. Tweak away.
5) I don't believe mine clicks. Maybe I've just never noticed.

[Edit: If anything I say conflicts with anything that VFerrari says, ignore what I said.]

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) Hold your coil about 3 feet off the ground (hip height, as you say) and away from anything metallic like your car, when powering up.
2) I can't answer that one.
3) Sounds like you are talking about pumping, not manually setting ground balance. To manually GB, just adjust using the +/- to match or come close to the suggested setting.
4) No. Tweak away.
5) I don't believe mine clicks. Maybe I've just never noticed.

[Edit: If anything I say conflicts with anything that VFerrari says, ignore what I said.]

You pretty much nailed it. I answered 2 for the tip in. And the coil does indeed click when you cycle through the programs and also I think when you change frequency. lol.

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You pretty much nailed it. I answered 2 for the tip in. And the coil does indeed click when you cycle through the programs and also I think when you change frequency. lol.

Wow, thx alot for your quick reply Iron Buzz&vferrari.
Forgot to ask about one more thing.

1.If I change the presets or my own programs on the fly without saving the settings and keep switching between presets etc, will deus keep all the unsaved settings(normal/expert) until the device is powered off ?
At the start I just want to experiment with certain numbers on the field without having to save them individually every time, but just wanted to make sure this is true so that I don't need to double check that the numbers are correct.

2.Is it okey to change settings/create new programs inside where there are some interference/metal etc, or should the settings be changed only when there is no interference(outside). Seems like it doesen't matter because they are just the values the coil operates, but just wanted to be sure.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the settings that you change, even for built-in programs, with remain for that session. They will revert when you power down. And yes, you can create programs in the house or in the car to use later.

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the settings that you change, even for built-in programs, with remain for that session. They will revert when you power down. And yes, you can create programs in the house or in the car to use later.

Thank you again, starting to understand it better now from the technical point, some things just doesent come up in videos/manuals.

How about the coil battery life, seems like it varies from 11-15h in specs, but I had my coil go to blinking to 0 bars in about 6hours. Was using the basic1(with 4khz) most of the time and changing between presets, but seems not hitting the 11h mark. Dunno how long it would have lasted with 0 bars and blinking, at least that's what my remote told me.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4KHz forces the TX Power (transmission power, expert menu setting under Sensitivity) to 3, which uses more power and shortens battery life. Coil power is what always goes first, too.

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like its the coil battery itself. Charged the coil to full, got 2 bars, and after 30min it went to 1 bar. Do I have a faulty coil ?
Still have time to replace the coil to a new one.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say charge to full, do you mean that the coil stopped charging (solid coil charge light changed to blinking automatically) but you only saw two bars on the coil battery icon on the remote? If you are sure the coil charge clip did not disconnect, then yeah, that does not sound right and I would talk to seller to see if they will swap or get hold of XP Americas warranty repair service. I would expect capacity to build up over time but it should definitely start out at 3 full bars, I think, not 2. The Capacity increase would increase the time to decrease to two or one bars but should not keep you from getting to full (3) bars after a full charge.

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say charge to full, do you mean that the coil stopped charging (solid coil charge light changed to blinking automatically) but you only saw two bars on the coil battery icon on the remote? If you are sure the coil charge clip did not disconnect, then yeah, that does not sound right and I would talk to seller to see if they will swap or get hold of XP Americas warranty repair service. I would expect capacity to build up over time but it should definitely start out at 3 full bars, I think, not 2. The Capacity increase would increase the time to decrease to two or one bars but should not keep you from getting to full (3) bars after a full charge.

Yes the coil had a solid light when charging, and blinked after I took it out. I didin't notice if the bars were at 3 when I powered it up, but I had 2 bars after 10min and 1 bar after 30min, was using 12-18khz and tx2 (v3.2).
This is my second charge, first time I had 0 bars after ~3:30-4h.

Will return it and get a new one if this isnt a ''feature'' of the battery, that it needs to be decharged/recharged a couple of times if its been standing for couple of months ?
But in that case shouldn't there be a mention about that in manual ?

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bad battery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread