Skunked on Sunday but Monday made up for it!

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got back to the old neighborhood a couple days back and started at a bungalow type house built in the 1920s. One of the first coins to come up was a bent 1926 Wheat, but that was to be the only old coin from that house. Went around to the backyard to find three Showbiz tokens stacked in the same hole! Too bad they weren't silver quarters....:laughing7:

After that we found a rental not far from there built in the early 1940s, but this place was also very trashy. The older coins it seemed were 4-5" deep tangled in the roots, but most of them turned out to be Wheats. We didn't stay long at this place since the weather was getting windier and colder. Pulled 4 Wheats on Sunday, and ended the 4-coin silver streak that day as well.

Monday I had to drive back to CO again, but decided to see if Gerald wanted to hunt. I didn't have anything lined up except what Dad and I had hunted the previous day. I had a lead on two rentals, but my information was old and it turned out one of the properties had already been rented. We drove on to where Dad and I had left off, and after about an hour of fairly thorough hunting with only a couple Wheats apiece to show for our efforts...we decided to find another spot...but where?

Drove over a couple of blocks to the old neighborhood I'd lived in for almost four years - this neighborhood is a postwar development which almost every house I ever hunted held at least one silver coin! Gerald and I found two houses side-by-side and we commenced to swinging. I started on one end of the yard, and noticed signals were few and far between. After digging two or three pieces of junk, I locked on to a 71-72 signal (4kHz) which sounded very close to the surface. A minute later I had found a shallow Wheat, and rescanned the hole to find another one inches away. Was on the right track! But signals were just sparse - I wondered at one point if the Deus was working OK, I wasn't even getting that many trash signals.

Walked onto the curb strip and got a 79-81 reading which jumped around a bit. My car was parked a couple feet away, and I was getting falsing from it, but I knew there was a shallow coin there as well. Was very surprised to see a reeded silver edge and the first silver of the day pops up - a 1917 Merc!

Not thirty feet down the strip I got another 79-81 signal, and from a shallow 3" out came a 1956 Rosie! Gerald rounded the corner and I showed him the coins, and he was getting worried that the Ol Skunk may pay him a visit today! But I had complete faith in him - shortly thereafter he finds a silver quarter at around 5" down...like there was even any doubt, right?! 8-)

Made my way around the other side of the house, and got a 76-78 signal in both directions, we both called it a silver dime and it was...a 1963 Rosie. I kept getting these "72" readings on the Deus, which in 4 kHz means a copper penny. I must have passed over a few of these before I decided to dig one - and it turned out to be a 1950s Wheat! I quickly had to backtrack and find all of those "72s" again - about half were Memorials while the other half were later-date 1940s and 1950s Wheats. I just can't seem to leave a Wheat in the ground, and when I pass things over, I ALWAYS regret it - that's why I dig almost all targets!

I remember getting a solid "64" indication, and this one turned out to be a 1917 D Wheat. Many times those early brassy Wheat cents can indicate like zinc cents, and seeing that green disc in the hole is always rewarding! Still waiting on my 1914 D Wheat (it will come one day!) Ten feet away I got a high 70s hit, and this one was the last silver of the day, a 1953 Rosie.

Between the two of us, we didn't leave much at that place, and the ground had a lot of clay which I think helped keep the older drops fairly shallow. I didn't dig a coin at this place deeper than 5". I had seen this happen at other Memphis locations where the house is on a small hilltop and the targets just aren't that deep. In contrast I've also hunted lower-lying houses where some coins made it to 8" and deeper....

The 9" coil performed flawlessly, and I can't see much difference if any vs the 11" Deus coil besides the obvious greater coverage area. Now that the days are longer, it's only a matter of time until I get back to "Deep Coin Park" :hello2:

SAM_2454.JPG SAM_2456.JPG SAM_2459.JPG SAM_2458.JPG SAM_2461.JPG

Last edited:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good work on the silver dimes! I don't pass many high VDI signals either unless they are hitting dominant on the 22.5khz (V3i ) strong indicator of a trash bottle cap. That's one reason I like my V...

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea behind the v3i using three different freqs simultaneously - it gives you much more info about the target that otherwise you'd only have the audio component to go from. This is why I like the Full Tone audio - if there's a deep coin you may not even get VDI but you can call them fairly accurately (like a deep nickel vs a deep Wheat) when there's no VDI available.

When Deus v4.0 comes out hopefully it will allow more signal "resolution"...was hoping for a multi-freq approach but one may be able to simply toggle from, say 4khz to 40kHz for a bottlecap ID. Just another tool in the arsenal on those kinds of targets. I've noticed that 12kHz hits zinc and Indian pennies MUCH deeper than copper pennies in 4kHz - something that your v3i would indicate!

Nice signature - that's about how it goes...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work CZ. A smaller elliptical DD would be great Deus addition. Alas, it doesn't look like anything earlier than a fall 16 release for 4.0 from my sources "in the know".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread