How to boost your depth on deep coins with a negative gb.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you are showing the secrets......

I always run negative ground balance.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is called detuning and it seems to miss the first few inches of dirt. Not that you still wont find coins those inches. But I have used this to go deep and it works for me on both detectors.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you do to stop the chatter at lower GB settings like that? It would go absolutely ape-poop if I tried to manually set it to what the reading was (anywhere from 80 to 88 in my area). If I was to ever GB it to 80-84 range...forget it. Was impossible to use.

Disc...reactivity..silencer....didn't matter...preset 90 was just about the only way I could hunt other than a few nice schools/parks.

Obviously I defer to your (any Deus owner) expertise on the machine compared to the 3 short weeks I used it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does chatter way more. I raised it from 84 to 86 to 88 to calm it down.I dont like the chatter either it hit almost as good with gb number set at the actual gb number and ran way quieter. I tried the ground notch feature to keep it from making so much fuss. I was told that feature did not affect performance THAT IS NOT TRUE when I used it in my test garden it had a negative effect on depth. The targets I was tagging with it off got weaker signals with it cut on say to 84 or so. The moral of the story is the only way I found to quiet it down was to raise it up,I tried the silencer,tx lowered, sens lowered it still was chattery. I will say this if you can stand it it will peg a deep target I JUST PREFER A QUIETER PROGRAM MOST OF THE TIME WHEN IM GENERAL HUNTING but I do have some hunted out places that this will be in the arsenal when I need it.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. Ensures me I was not doing something wrong. Land Ranger Pro and Fisher F44 got an extra inch or so going low GB as well...but same deal...chatteriffic. Seems to be the norm for any manually GB'ed detector digital or analog.

Here I was thinking it was a Tesoro trademark they way those guys tout its benefits. :laughing7:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No question it increases depth, sometimes dramatically. I run around 81- 83 mostly w/ some sites letting me get down to the mid 70s. Depends on the site. I dont have any issues with missing shallow targets running like this. I run 18 khz on program 15 with a mirror program on 16 but using 4 khz. Toggling from my program 15 to 16 and then back lets me verify if its deep iron or not. Works extremely well.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you do to stop the chatter at lower GB settings like that? It would go absolutely ape-poop if I tried to manually set it to what the reading was (anywhere from 80 to 88 in my area). If I was to ever GB it to 80-84 range...forget it. Was impossible to use.

Disc...reactivity..silencer....didn't matter...preset 90 was just about the only way I could hunt other than a few nice schools/parks.

Obviously I defer to your (any Deus owner) expertise on the machine compared to the 3 short weeks I used it. :occasion14:
That's what the ground notch feature is for. It quiets down the machine at lower gb settings but personally I just run mine at 85 and forget it. I dont use ground notch. The machine will easily hit a dime at 10" just leaving it at 90 as long as your not running high reactivity, silencer, or disc. That's plenty

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread