trouble deciding.....

bowyorang

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! Getting a new detector soon but I'm back and forth on what I want. Literally. One morning I'll be set on the Deus and that afternoon I'll have changed my mind and think the ATP is the best choice...driving myself crazy!
So.....here is what I am thinking. The ATP is about half the cost considering I would also be purchasing a Nel Snake to go with it and it's made to be waterproof. Not to mention that it is a proven machine.
The Deus, however, has a faster recovery time, wireless, lighter...but.....not waterproof, at least not without the kit that also adds to the cost. Speaking of which, does anyone have any experience with the kit? Thoughts?
I looking for a detector for an all around machine. Woods, fields, creeks, and swimming area (fresh water only). Probably 80% and 20% water. Also worried that maybe the Deus may be more advanced than I really need. My only experience detecting was several years ago with a Whites MXT for about a year.
So, any thought to sway me one way or another?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of posts here and on other forums about the ATP leaking from being in water.

OP
OP
B

bowyorang

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of posts here and on other forums about the ATP leaking from being in water.

Yes. I did see that. Which is one reason I switched my decision back again to Deus. Just not sure how well the waterproof kit works on the Deus. Most of my hunts will be on dry land but definitely needing something that won't mind being sat down in running water while I search.

OP
OP
B

bowyorang

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But..also with the flooding it seems as though some of the problems could have been improper maintenance on the seals. I'm sure not all of them were though.
Also, with the warranty it looks as though garrett has no problem fixing them . As long as it's within warranty. ..
I wouldn't think XP would do that with the Deus since the kit is an add on part. I don't know that for sure though. Another reason I won't to make sure of the reliability of the waterproof kit....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Deus and an F75 LTD SE. I would hate to trip up while water hunting and end up frying one or the other so I picked up a used Fisher Aquanaut for $200 to use in the water since it's waterproof and I only hunt fresh water. Get the best detector you can afford for the most of your hunting and worry about the water in the future by watching for a good used water detector. Who know's you may have the ability to barter for one.

Good Luck

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
both great machines, I'd say the deus is better, but if you are looking to change up coils, headphones, and keeping a budget the atp is hard to beat. Really a great machine for the money, and with what more you'd get with the deus you probably wont miss it.
I love how light the deus is. I love the wireless headphones, coil, and remote, and soon to be pinpointer that I'm sure will have discriminate and sensitivity and things that the remote will control. I love how small it packs up when done and the fact that I don't have to buy batteries and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

OP
OP
B

bowyorang

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I definitely understand about getting the right tool for the job. Land detector for land, waterproof one for water. If I do end up getting deus I would probably look at getting a water detector later. Just have a few places I'd really like to hit right now! Lol
I'm really leaning toward the Deus right now. Been looking and researching for about 3 weeks now so I'm ready to detect!
Would there be any reason to hold off on purchasing till the update is out or is it just something I can download?
Also, that pinpointer sounds amazing.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a Bounty Hunter, used it three time, then I bought an ATP, used it for three months, then I bought a Deus and have used nothing else for over two years.

ATP is a good machine, it finds the good stuff, but the Deus is way lighter and wireless. The cord was an absolute nightmare for me. If you have the $1300, it's the only way to fly.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you already made your decision but I recommend you get the type of machine suited for the type of hunting you will use the most - if you are going to mostly do land and dry beach hunting but want to be able to dip your coil in the water once in a while get the deus. You can make it a wading machine by simply buying the Aryca Wave waterproof case and running an antenna wire from coil up the pole all for less than 30 bucks. If you are going to primarily do water hunting, get a machine that can do that on a daily basis (not the AT Pro, certainly not if salt water). I would recommend a minelab Excal II which can also be used on land if needed. If you want to do land hunting then try your hand at serious water hunting, get the Deus and then upgrade to a true water machine, like the Excal or whatever.

As far as the update is concerned, the V 4.0 software will be available as a free download. Once of the selling points XP touted when the Deus first came out, free downloadable updates for life.

Hope that Helps.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone already gave you the best advice. From my foxhole and someone who also owns an ATP, I think the XP is a much more versatile detector.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw - lest anyone think I am bashing the ATP - still own one myself and had some success with it but it just was not a physically balanced machine for me and was hoping to sell it once the MX Sport came out as my light duty all weather and shallow water machine, but that is another long and sad story... As it turns out, I am happy with the Deus for all weather and if I want to get serious with water hunting I have an excal. Now I need to get serious about unloading my ATP and possibly MX Sport now that the new Deus hardware is coming because those machines are just gathering dust.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus do your home work and you will be ok.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus is a great machine. I have two. For water I use a CZ21.

OP
OP
B

bowyorang

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for all the help guys! I think that was really what I needed, type it out and read some comments. I definitely see a Deus showing up on the door step soon! It was really the whole package deal that sold me. Wireless, light, seamingly a much more advanced piece of equipment. Plus, the free downloads. That's a cool plus.
I'm sure I'll go ahead and get the waterproof kit for now and just try to be as careful as I can. I'm sure that maybe next year I'll probably look at finding something that I can devote totally for water.
I do wish the new pinpointer was already out so that I could look at it as well. Needing to get a new one of those, but as for now I'll probably get the Garrett Carrot. No telling what the XP will probably cost if it does discriminating and everything. I mainly just need something to pinpoint what I'm looking for anyway.
If anyone has a dealer who has the best price and good service please pm me.
Thanks!

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
There are a number of sponsors on this forum that can't advertise prices, but give great discounts.
look them up and give them a call.
Click on the FORUM tab in the upper left corner and scroll down about 3/4s of the page to Supporting Vendors .
Bart at Big Boys Hobbies has been good to a bunch on the forum.
Also get The DEUS HANDBOOK by Andy Sabisch He also sells XP and is a very good source of information and tips.
As for the carrot, I would hold off until the XP one comes out.
From what I understand it will be fully integrated with your controller and headphones.
Why spend the extra $125.+ for something that will sit on the shelf in a few months.
In the mean time just grab handfuls of soil and pass them over the coil until the target is located.
The Deus pinpoints so tight that I hardly ever use a pinpointer. and you can use the heel of the coil as a pinpointer.
Good luck

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can somone describe the coil heel method they use for pinpointing, I can't seem to get the hang of it. Thanks.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Vferrari,
Gary show it in one of his videos.
Sorry I don't know which one though.

The basic way I've done it is,
Running in the program I'm using (not in pinpoint) tilt the coil up 90 degrees from the ground and move to across the soil in the general area of the target.
It will sound off and you kind of X the spot and locate the target.
Then grab a handful of soil and pass it over the coil until I get the target in my hand.
It takes me less time than getting out my pinpointer, turning it on and poking around to locate the target.
Don't get me wrong... I still use my pinpointer when I can't find it this way.
But it works 90+ percent of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread