Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently ongoing for some time, haven't heard this and looked back 3 pages here and didn't see it posted.

Would be interested if there are any updates.

[h=1]Minelab Electronics alleges patent infringement[/h]
An Australian company is suing French company XP Metal Detectors and Massachusetts-based Detector Electronics Corp., citing alleged patent infringement.

Minelab Electronics PTY LTD filed a complaint on Oct. 19 in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania against the defendants, alleging that they infringed on the plaintiff's patent through their distribution of a metal detector.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that it suffered damages to its business. The plaintiff holds XP Metal Detectors and Detector Electronics Corp. responsible because the defendants allegedly manufacture and offer for sale metal detectors that can store data, a feature that purportedly infringes on at least one aspect of the plaintiff's patent.
The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks an injunction, damages, interest, court costs and any further relief this court grants. It is represented by Kent E. Baldauf Jr., Bryan P. Clark and Christian D. Ehret of The Webb Law Firm in Pittsburgh.

Minelab Electronics alleges patent infringement | Pennsylvania Record

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently ongoing for some time, haven't heard this and looked back 3 pages here and didn't see it posted.

Would be interested if there are any updates.

[h=1]Minelab Electronics alleges patent infringement[/h]
An Australian company is suing French company XP Metal Detectors and Massachusetts-based Detector Electronics Corp., citing alleged patent infringement.

Minelab Electronics PTY LTD filed a complaint on Oct. 19 in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania against the defendants, alleging that they infringed on the plaintiff's patent through their distribution of a metal detector.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that it suffered damages to its business. The plaintiff holds XP Metal Detectors and Detector Electronics Corp. responsible because the defendants allegedly manufacture and offer for sale metal detectors that can store data, a feature that purportedly infringes on at least one aspect of the plaintiff's patent.
The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks an injunction, damages, interest, court costs and any further relief this court grants. It is represented by Kent E. Baldauf Jr., Bryan P. Clark and Christian D. Ehret of The Webb Law Firm in Pittsburgh.

Minelab Electronics alleges patent infringement | Pennsylvania Record

Yep I posted similar info in two threads dealing with the Deus 4.0 update as it seems this may very well result in further delays in releasing the update in the US.

Detectors that store data...now that's specific. More money for lawyers I guess.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a PITA, I want that pointer.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why the new DEUS updates have not came out.. Sad :(
They will not come out until this lawsuit is done...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not possible to make a patent that stops any other manufacturer from storing data, so there must be something very specific about how each does it that they feel is too similar. That would be like Ford have saying years ago that no other auto manufacturer could build using assembly lines.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the patent and its pretty lacking in detail and high level. Not sure how they got it.

waynedig

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its just "storage of data" I'd say Minelab is going to loose that one. They seem like fairly smart folks and seem that they likely wouldn't undertake something that is base-less. Why isn't Minelab also suing all the other detector companies that "store data" in the device? Some people suspect the story isn't reported right - more fabricated news perhaps??? LOL. Infringement of Minelab's intellectual property - now that would be something worth fighting for.

Does anyone know the patent number this case concerns?

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patent No. 7310586 B2 (or US20050062476). case no. : 16-CV-01594-MRH

Metal detector with data transfer
US 7310586 B2
Abstract
A metal detector adapted to generate a transmit search signal and to receive a receive search signal, and to analyse such received search signal, wherein the detector is adapted to allow a selection of operating parameters for each of these functions, said selection being effected by the storage as data in a memory of such selection, characterised in that the detector is adapted to allow such stored data to be modified in accordance with data in an external store, further characterised in that there is a digital data communication transmission program, adapted to effect a transmission of some or all of the stored data through a data transmission means to enable a further metal detector to receive and store for use in such further detector the said data.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps it is not the metal detector so much as it could be the new phone app and whatever capabilities the app has and how it integrates with the machine. :dontknow:

Doesn't minelab have some similar app for the CTX or the Go-Find?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its just "storage of data" I'd say Minelab is going to loose that one. They seem like fairly smart folks and seem that they likely wouldn't undertake something that is base-less. Why isn't Minelab also suing all the other detector companies that "store data" in the device? Some people suspect the story isn't reported right - more fabricated news perhaps??? LOL. Infringement of Minelab's intellectual property - now that would be something worth fighting for.

Does anyone know the patent number this case concerns?

Minelab has some high quality patent lawyers and not in habit of losing these kind of lawsuits, you can bet they have legal grounds for the suit if they filed it. Remember they won the lawsuit against Whites in 2010

November 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab has some high quality patent lawyers and not in habit of losing these kind of lawsuits, you can bet they have legal grounds for the suit if they filed it. Remember they won the lawsuit against Whites in 2010

November 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Agree, not likely to be frivolous ... Which of course doesn't mean they will win, only that a sound legal basis exists.

Hopefully doesn't drag out for too much longer.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it is not the metal detector so much as it could be the new phone app and whatever capabilities the app has and how it integrates with the machine. :dontknow:

Doesn't minelab have some similar app for the CTX or the Go-Find?

Might be on to something there.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno, but my guess is that it could be an Intellectual Property type of suit, the NOS (nature of suit) is 830; check Xraywolfs case link and then this link:
Key Nature of Suit Codes (KNOS)

I think all patent infringement suits are Intellectual Property related. The inellectual property being contained within the patent. Not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

waynedig

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all patent infringement suits are Intellectual Property related. The inellectual property being contained within the patent. Not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

... you could have fooled me vferrari :-)

Seriously though; the way I understanding it patent infringement suites could be copyright related or trademark related or could be IP related and probably a bunch of other things related.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I think trademarks and copyrights are separate from patents but all of these are considered intellectual property. Hence, all patent infringement cases are IP related. Again, not a lawyer, so you lawyers can set me straight, but as an engineer, I have been involved in patent reviews.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Copyrights, trademarks and patents are 3 different animals, but all from the same species - if that makes any sense. They are all forms of protection, but each covers different things. Might wanna check out http://www.uspto.gov/

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a attorney like all you are with all this copyrights , trademarks , & patents.. But if Deus was to steal one of Minelab's ideas then let them pay the piper.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't disagree. However, it is possible that a patent was granted that was broadly written to the effect that Minelab's idea is a detector that transmits and stores data (the patent referenced that I saw did not give much details on the engineering hows and there is some debate as to whether this is the patent minelab is actually saying was infringed upon by XP). All I know is that minelab has not marketed anything remotely similar to the Deus other than the GO series (and performance wise they are not in the same league as the Deus), so maybe they are not technologically where XP is in bringing something to market or may never be, but if everyone else who can bring the tech to market gets sued for their efforts due to a broadly written patent, then we lose by not having access to that technology. So I am very interested in what minelab is actually saying was infringed. Guess we'll have to let the courts figure it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread