Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Glad they are fixing things quickly, and I can be understanding about minor hw differences affecting behavior of certain release versions. But not upping minor rev levels 4.xx etc. is really asking for trouble IMO. I mean that is like russian roulette for the end user with no recourse but to roll back completely to 3.2, if you are lucky enough not to completely bork yor hardware. They really should have just gone to a public Beta phase at this point, with Beta rev levels so you could be sure of where you were in the rev tree. Scary.
Makes it pretty difficult for their support folks, too.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I upgraded with today's version 4 variant and it went ok. I did notice that the splash screen at the end of the upgrade explicitly mentioned readjusting your remote's contrast after pulling the cable! Fixed the ID norm setting, loaded in my fast (Rx 2.5) full tones programs with both horseshoe and xy variants, a 4 khz (deep) version of gold field, which has been noticeably improved, customized the deep and hot programs to my liking and went on a little clad hunt and was surprised at how hard it was banging on some deep copper (not zincoln) cents that I had either missed or not swung over before, though I have hit this spot hard the past few weeks. Overall pleased with it and will hope to get more swing time on the deep programs in the woods.

Couple of other things I noticed - switching between coils takes about 5 to 10 seconds for the coil to handshake and connect. Looking closely at the screen I noticed that on my 8 khz Deus Fast full tones variant, the coil briefly connects at 18 Khz then shifts to the 7.8 khz frequency. This happened with both my 9" and 11" coils and I went back and forth several times. Another thing I finally noticed during this coil switch exercise though Andy had mentioned it at the Bootcamp, each coil is operating at slightly different frequency (78xx.x khz).

Some thoughts on the daily ver 4.0 variants. Since they are not allowing folks to roll back to the previous 4.0 variants (minor revs), because your coils can't tell you want version they are on, and because they are bug fixes and not providing revised functionality, then I can maybe see why they are just leaving the rev level at 4.0. I also have an amusing theory that they do not want to change the initialization splash screen graphic on the remote from "4.0" perhaps for a number of reasons. I still think they may be playing with fire though if someone's hardware gets out of sync and it does complicate the tech support process (when did you perform the upgrade, was it before 9am on Saturday? Then you need to download the new 4.0 variant, lol!). In the end, glad they are quickly addressing the issues for the end users.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I upgraded with today's version 4 variant and it went ok. I did notice that the splash screen at the end of the upgrade explicitly mentioned readjusting your remote's contrast after pulling the cable!

I don't recall that splash screen. The only thing I remember is "you can now disconnect"

I wonder if they updated something again since this morning?

You know what's weird though? I only needed to adjust the contrast on my older remote. The newer one retained its settings.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recall that splash screen. The only thing I remember is "you can now disconnect"

I wonder if they updated something again since this morning?

You know what's weird though? I only needed to adjust the contrast on my older remote. The newer one retained its settings.

My remote was purchased almost 2 years ago so it is the same vintage as the one you had a contrast issue with. Yeah, I could not believe I was reading that but it was there plain as day. I wonder if it knows your hardware version and only displays it as necessary. Since you upgraded both remotes with the latest V4 variant, maybe it didn't display on the the one you did not have to adjust contrast on. Who knows. Thought it was weird, but thought of you when I saw it (not saying you are weird Jadocs, I just remembered you had the contrast issue and so did I - lol).

Last edited:
OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol well I'm glad you upgraded successfully! Had you done it last night you would have had the menu issues (given your remotes age similar to my older one). Xp really did a fast turnaround on this one.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol well I'm glad you upgraded successfully! Had you done it last night you would have had the menu issues (given your remotes age similar to my older one). Xp really did a fast turnaround on this one.

Yeah some mixed feelings on the way they are handling this, but can't complain about getting the fix out and am happy with it right now so that is all that matters, I guess.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you mean each coil is running and a different frequency? I would think as long as you where not running 2 coils at the same time(if even possible) that when you switch to 12Khz it should switch no matter what coil your using to 12khz with no play up or down from your desired frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean each coil is running and a different frequency? I would think as long as you where not running 2 coils at the same time(if even possible) that when you switch to 12Khz it should switch no matter what coil your using to 12khz with no play up or down from your desired frequency.

Well first of all, its running at 11.7XX khz not 12.000 khz (assuming no frequency shift is applied) and second, the XX of each of my coils is different and this is true for all the operating frequencies. If you have multiple coils check it out. Andy pointed this out in class. When I electronically switch coils they will briefly initialize at 17.6xx khz for less than 1 sec then switch to the operating frequency of the program I am using if its not 17.6 khz (18 khz). Though different for each coil the 11.7XX (or 7.8XX, 4.0XX, 17.6XX as the case may be) base operating frequency is constant for a given coil seral number and only changes if I apply a frequency shift in the expert menu, a feature I never use because it locks you in to tx3.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also upgraded last night, and from what I can tell so far, it went without a hitch. I really like this new version of the x/y "oscilloscope" screen! It saved me from digging some bottlecaps that sounded like a quarter, and showed a TID of a quarter, but displayed a completely different pattern on the screen.

Does anybody here have any insider information on exactly what this "special processing" is on the new "Deep" program?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well first of all, its running at 11.7XX khz not 12.000 khz (assuming no frequency shift is applied) and second, the XX of each of my coils is different and this is true for all the operating frequencies. If you have multiple coils check it out. Andy pointed this out in class. When I electronically switch coils they will briefly initialize at 17.6xx khz for less than 1 sec then switch to the operating frequency of the program I am using if its not 17.6 khz (18 khz). Though different for each coil the 11.7XX (or 7.8XX, 4.0XX, 17.6XX as the case may be) base operating frequency is constant for a given coil seral number and only changes if I apply a frequency shift in the expert menu, a feature I never use because it locks you in to tx3.

Interesting it must be doing some software checks when the coils start up to make sure they all are on a different "sub" frequency. I love your technical answers keep them rolling!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also confirmed what someone else reported regarding switching to the phones when the remote is turned off. Version 3.2 behavior as I recall it was pretty instantaneous, if you are using the remote and headphones and you switch the remote off, the transfer to the headsets controlling the coil was pretty instantaneous. With Version 4, if you turn off the remote, the headset goes into a standby state for about 30 seconds then picks up the coil. I suppose this enables the user to switch off the remote and then switch of the headsets in a natural manner so that when you turn off the remote noise isn't blasting into the headsets the moment the remote is turned off and you can take your time turning off the headset. Who knows, but I don't mind the new version 4 behavior.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems your warning about no configuration control of updates is coming back to bite xp in the azz. I'm hearing that Alain stated there will be a v4.1 update for the purpose of ensuring everyone is using the correct update. Here's the funny thing, if that's all it is then s simple file name change would be all that's required. Instead this v4.1 update is pending. This makes me think there are other tweaks happening.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they do release a ver 4.1 they better issue release notes detailing the bug fixes with it before I even consider updating again.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd just like them to be transparent about it. All this going through certain people on social media (who really don't do a good job communicating - you have to ask the same question numerous times just to pull a correct/direct answer to a question) just facilitates speculation and possibly false information.

Now I will admit that I'm speculating that they must be tweaking something else in the new release, but I base this on the fact that they were able to issue a fix pretty darn quick on Saturday which corrected the menu/expert functions. So logic would state that if v4.1 is just to ensure everyone has a reference for the correct update...a simple file name change and announcement is all that's needed. They should be able to do this right away. The fact that they aren't and it is pending suggests other tweaks.

Anyway back to my transparency comment. I would like them to reassure the public that running machines which have successfully updated is perfectly safe and officially release details of the bug fixes or pending bug fixes. I say this because of all the chatter that is going on about dead coils/performance issues and such. Just a little reassurance to those that have invested so much into this machine. In my opinion people would be more accommodating than they think.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if they shouldn't be on a regular minor rev issuance drumbeat (say one every six months to a year to keep their release process fresh and fix minor bugs along the way) Seems like since its been so long since they issued an update, they've forgotten how to properly handle a public release. With the exception that they are getting the fixes out quickly (which indicates to me more a loss of configuration/version control on the releases vs. quick fixes - in other words they released the wrong versions because of a file mixup or not ready for prime time versions floating around in their development environment, because you can't regression test code updates that fast), not sure this could have gone much worse.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
high school coding mistakes here folks, sad to see from a brand name company. I see a lot of negative publicity from this daily, XP need to get a real product release manager and do it right for the customers. With out us buying machines they would not be in business. Lucky it works as good as it does or just from spite I would switch brands.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I'm out of town at the moment, has anyone selected "yes" on go-detect to see if their phone recognizes the XP as a Bluetooth device?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does not work with Iphones will semi work with android but will not connect to the coil to log your targets. Still in the works and about 1-2 months away from a working APP.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I'm just curious if an iPhone recognizes it as a Bluetooth device in settings. I know the app doesn't work yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions