V4 update bugs on certain machines

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Background:

1. I have two Deus's. The first is about 8 months old and the other is about a year older than that.

2. Both remotes are the "new" style with the clip on bottom.

3. Software update was done on a clean laptop (first time xp update was installed on it).

Situation:

My first Deus updated to v4 just fine. No issues.

My second Deus (older one) displayed some major bugs after the update to v4. After reverting back to v3.2 it is back to normal.

Bugs exhibited on my older machine:

When you try and modify some parameters in expert settings, it won't let you:

1. Menu-Disc-expert-expert = Freeze. (ie you can't get out and return to menu). You have to turn off the remote and turn it back on.

2. Will not allow a frequency shift and will also not allow you to return to menu.

3. Notch-Expert = Freeze, will not allow adjustments or a return to menu.

I reinstalled 3.2 on it and all seems to be well again. As mentioned, my second Deus is one year older than my other unit. I can only speculate that it might have something to do with the age of the remote.

XP-Man

Jul 28, 2014
Lowell, Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://youtu.be/Q7lISEowY2w mine is 3 years old and no issue at first. I re downloaded 4.0 and got the freezing issue like u i then downloaded 4.019 beta and no issues

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah screw that. I'm not installing the beta on the second machine.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Background:

1. I have two Deus's. The first is about 8 months old and the other is about a year older than that.

2. Both remotes are the "new" style with the clip on bottom.

3. Software update was done on a clean laptop (first time xp update was installed on it).

Situation:

My first Deus updated to v4 just fine. No issues.

My second Deus (older one) displayed some major bugs after the update to v4. After reverting back to v3.2 it is back to normal.

Bugs exhibited on my older machine:

When you try and modify some parameters in expert settings, it won't let you:

1. Menu-Disc-expert-expert = Freeze. (ie you can't get out and return to menu). You have to turn off the remote and turn it back on.

2. Will not allow a frequency shift and will also not allow you to return to menu.

3. Notch-Expert = Freeze, will not allow adjustments or a return to menu.

I reinstalled 3.2 on it and all seems to be well again. As mentioned, my second Deus is one year older than my other unit. I can only speculate that it might have something to do with the age of the remote.

The second remote paired with an updated coil just fine? More specifically, did you update the second remote with a coil that was also on 3.2 and wireless headset also on 3.2 or did you pair the second remote to one of the coils you updated with the first remote?

I ask because I have a theory. Remember when LB4S identified an issue with Gary's deep program default disc setting (it was 6.4 then changed to -6.4, the correct value, and the value that was in Beta 19). It appears that they issued an update to V 4 FINAL to fix that issue. That means that there were two versions of V 4 out there (I complained about this configuration control problem when it happened). You may have updated the two remotes with different versions of v 4. Why does that matter? Because if you used the "First" Version 4, you would have updated your coils and wireless headsets to that version from the first remote. If you subsequently updated your second remote to the newer version 4 (the one that was more like Beta 19) then your coils and wireless headsets which are on the first version 4 may not play nicely with your remote that is on the second version 4. Just a theory and may also explain XP-Man's issue. Especially since it is known that if you inadvertently try to roll back the new coils to version 3.2 you will brick them, similarly if you try to update two headsets simultaneously you will brick at least one if not both of them. That is why is was SUCH A BAD MOVE if they really did have two "Final" version 4's in the wild. It just set folks up for these kinds of issues when multiple pieces of hardware are being updated at different times with what is supposed to be the SAME exact software otherwise this type of unpredictable behaviour (or worse, bricked hardware) could occur. Again, just a theory, but really would like to get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both my Deus's are complete units with separate remotes, coils and headsets (ws4 and ws5).

Deus #1 (beta r18): 8 months old, ws4, remote and 11" & 9" coils. Updated two days ago with the 2nd final release that has the correct -6.4 disc on program 9. No issues, v4 works as it should and both coils connect and switch just fine.

Deus #2 (v3.2): 1yr 8 months old, ws5, remote, and a separate 11" coil. Updated today off the same laptop and exhibits the major bugs listed above.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both my Deus's are complete units with separate remotes, coils and headsets (ws4 and ws5).

Deus #1 (beta r18): 8 months old, ws4, remote and 11" & 9" coils. Updated two days ago with the 2nd final release that has the correct -6.4 disc on program 9. No issues, v4 works as it should and both coils connect and switch just fine.

Deus #2 (v3.2): 1yr 8 months old, ws5, remote, and a separate 11" coil. Updated today off the same laptop and exhibits the major bugs listed above.

So Deus #2 remote upgraded to v4 paired up with its dedicated, updated v4 11" coil just fine but exhibited the bugs you mentioned. Another possibility is the update was corrupted in some manner, I guess, since I believe the updater fetches a new instance of the firmware update for every upgrade you execute. OTOH it might not be a bad thing to have one complete machine on v4 and the other on v3.2 unless you want to use the new pinpointer on both machines.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's correct. I thought about a corrupted instantiation over wifi but I don't think that's the case unless xp did another silent update.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://youtu.be/Q7lISEowY2w mine is 3 years old and no issue at first. I re downloaded 4.0 and got the freezing issue like u i then downloaded 4.019 beta and no issues

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I didn't mean to come off like a ____. Thanks for trying to help XP-Man.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's correct. I thought about a corrupted instantiation over wifi but I don't think that's the case unless xp did another silent update.

I really wish XP would have been a little more transparent about that update version switch to correct the built-in program error rather than sneaking it in there. I really think it could have screwed some folks up. If I were in your shoes I would either hold off for awhile to see if this issue crops up and is reported by other folks and see if there is a way to make a bug report and get some tech support. Since it didn't completely bork your 2nd machine and you were able to roll back, I might give it one more shot to update to v4 to see if the issue was repeatable which would pretty much confirm some sort of compatibility issue. Going to take the plunge today with v4 myself so we'll see how it goes. Good luck j.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck V be sure to let me know how your update goes. Test all menu expert functions.

Yeah the issue I have described is pretty widespread. Gary said that XP is aware of it, and I just saw an announcement from XP saying they are working on a fix right now.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently xp released an update this morning. I'm going to give it another go.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished trying again. I just ran the old installer and it updated no problem. All glitches fixed. I also went ahead and re-updated my working machine. My reasoning is a glitch or error in code was fixed so it stood to reason that the working machine should be updated again as well.

Both machines running v4 now with no issues.

I still found it interesting (from a hardware perspective) that my older remote required me to readjust the contrast after the update and my newer remote required no contrast adjustment (both times).

Last edited:

AR10

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everytime from day 1 till the second time 5 hours ago i had to adjust the contrast. It showed a dark spot on the screen. That is all finish by this last update this hour. So i can conclude it is fixed by the update and has nothing to do with the controller that is used

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I never had a dark spot. When I updated the remote (that is about 2yrs old) it automatically adjusted my contrast to 10. On my newer controller it kept my original contrast settings. Not a bug but an interesting phenomenon.

I have two complete Deus machines. The fact that my newer remote accepted the older release and my older one didn't suggests there is something different hardware wise.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kind of scary they are pushing revisions to the Software with out so much as either letting the end user know or at least making the software V4.1X and so on. I am also in the camp of thinking it's downloading The firmware as your updating. I'm sure the software coders know what the revision number there on but that doesn't help me keep up to date. I feel like I should update my machine like every Friday now if there fixing bugs and not telling people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good lord. This is why I will be sticking with 3.2 for a while. Dont really see any advantages if not using new pinpointers/coils anyway.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin I agree completely.

Toasted if it's any consolation it is working as it should on both my machines.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Glad they are fixing things quickly, and I can be understanding about minor hw differences affecting behavior of certain release versions. But not upping minor rev levels 4.xx etc. is really asking for trouble IMO. I mean that is like russian roulette for the end user with no recourse but to roll back completely to 3.2, if you are lucky enough not to completely bork yor hardware. They really should have just gone to a public Beta phase at this point, with Beta rev levels so you could be sure of where you were in the rev tree. Scary.

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
having different hardware in the same "looking" machine is also a concern of mine. How would we know which machines have older hardware? Serial numbers? I have a hard time believing they changed some hardware since that would mean changes in production line

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having different hardware in the same "looking" machine is also a concern of mine. How would we know which machines have older hardware? Serial numbers? I have a hard time believing they changed some hardware since that would mean changes in production line

I don't know about the remotes, but the "legacy" coils have undergone a number of upgrades and modifications under the hood, from battery choice to how the windings are manufactured and epoxied into place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread